• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

puzzling turn signal problems 79 f350

mazdamama

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my hazard lights work but my turn signals dont, and when the hazards are on they work intermittently and the front passenger turn signal never flashes at all. also only the driver arrow on the dash blinks.

so far i have replaced the bulbs, and flasher relays for the hazards and turn signals, i have also checked the fuses, and partially scanned all the wires for shorts.

none of these made a difference and im having trouble understanding which of these are the cause and which are just symptoms.

oh yeah, and im not sure if this is important but the turn signal flasher relay doesnt make the click noise.

the only other thing i havnt got to check yet is the directional switch on the steering column.

so im thinking it has something to do with the fact that the front passenger light never blinks, but where should i begin to look for the problem at??
thanks

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I would start at the hazard light switch. There are three circuits involved and they are all are present at that point. Do your brake lights work? A wiring diagram would help you diagnose the switch.

ASMODEAN

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 litres of ticking fury
Transmission
Manual
I'm betting it's a clock spring issue in the column. My wifes van was doing almost the exact same thing but it was the drivers rear signal that didn't work. We replaced the clock spring assembly and all is good!

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
My expertise is pointing towards the multi function switch in the column.

mazdamama

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would start at the hazard light switch. There are three circuits involved and they are all are present at that point. Do your brake lights work? A wiring diagram would help you diagnose the switch.
its kind of hard for me to check right now but i dont think the brake lights were working either. so the hazard light switch is different than the multifunction switch in the column ? my hazard lights do work just not my turn signals and it does a few other wierd things. i looked at wiring diagram but its get a little confusing where the wires go into the multifunction switch.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
on the 79,the hazard switch will be built into the turn signal switch.you won't have a multifunction switch on this truck,those are the later ones where one switch controls turn,wiper,and high beam all in one.

i would think a replacement of the turn signal switch is going to be in order.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
on the 79,the hazard switch will be built into the turn signal switch.you won't have a multifunction switch on this truck,those are the later ones where one switch controls turn,wiper,and high beam all in one.

i would think a replacement of the turn signal switch is going to be in order.
Oh, 79. I read it as 99:icon_twisted:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

mazdamama

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, i replaced the turn signal switch, but that didnt fix anything , so im still pretty puzzled.
im thinking i have a short somewhere or something, because the blinkers on the dash never light up together when the hazards are on, and sometimes they dont work at all, and sometimes they will alternate, one side will work but then it will stop working and the other side will temporarily work.
should i look into replacing the hazard light switch?
any input?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have a 78 and good luck figureing out what it is....

Honestly, sounds to me like you have a bad ground, also, if you have a the stock taillight harness on it check the connections there, and the grounds on the rear taillights, these things will do all sorts of goofy shit if the grounds arnt right....

Right now mine blinks both back lights when the signals on, due to a bad ground.

later,
Dustin

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My money is on turn signal switch. My 78 olds did something similar, except that it wouldn't stay locked into a turn position either because the directional cam was busted.

Anyway, the two vehicles are wired very similarly for turns and hazards. Thus my bet remains, switch.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My money is on turn signal switch. My 78 olds did something similar, except that it wouldn't stay locked into a turn position either because the directional cam was busted.

Anyway, the two vehicles are wired very similarly for turns and hazards. Thus my bet remains, switch.
thatd be cool and all but it has already been said is the signal switch has been changed already lol, everyone is having doh moments around here

my guess is the ground at the tail lights, considering how bad these trucks rust there grounds goto shit in a hurry, its the same problem my 78 ford had with my old bed LOL....but that was more rust then metal

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
thatd be cool and all but it has already been said is the signal switch has been changed already
Not seeing that. I see where he checked the signals themselves, but I don't see where it says the switch was replaced.

I do see where the flasher isn't making noise. That tells me the gate isn't closing, which usually means the coil isn't energizing. That is either a bad coil, or a fault in the coil circuit (switch, power, coil, ground). The light grounds don't make up any part of that circuit.

If it's there and I'm just missing it, someone please point it out.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The turn signal switch is easy enough to change on these, pull the steering wheel, unscrew the stalk, unplug the harness (which thats kinda a bitch) and 3 screws....i changed the one on my 78 when i first started these goofy problems....10 bucks from a junkyard....

If its not clicking i would def change the switch...

later,
Dustin

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals