• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Question about trans

DAN1M3L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Manual
So I’ve been planning on throwing a new motor into my 94 Mazda b4000 and I can get a decently priced replacement motor with low miles but I also found a 97 mountaineer with the 5.0 not too far away for super cheap.

now I don’t know much about all of this but the truck isn’t my daily driver and it seems like a fun way to learn and from the research I’ve done it seems like the most straight forward and easy v8 swap in that could do?

as far as the trans goes could I just swap the auto from the mercury over with the engine or would I need to go the f150 trans route? I was just thinking for simplicity it would be cool if I could get lucky and have that work? I honestly prefer driving autos anyhow nowadays is another reason I’m wondering.

or would it just be easier to throw in the manual trans that most people mention when talking about swapping with the 5.0?

Please don’t eat me alive if these are dumb questions lol.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Are both vehicle 2wd? If not that complicates things. Either way, it's not a bolt in swap, there will be some fabrication required and the 97 is EEC V/OBD II where the 94 is EEC IV so the engine controls are different. There's someone here who has already done whatever you attempt and the advice is free.

DAN1M3L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Manual
Are both vehicle 2wd? If not that complicates things. Either way, it's not a bolt in swap, there will be some fabrication required and the 97 is EEC V/OBD II where the 94 is EEC IV so the engine controls are different. There's someone here who has already done whatever you attempt and the advice is free.
They are not! The mountaineer is awd and my b4000 is a 4x4! And I appreciate the answer!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you would want to keep 4x4 you'll need a different transfer case for the 4R70W, the smallest is the 4406 used in '97-03 F150's and Expeditions, I think all expeditions got auto cases but if you want manual you would need one from an F150, if you're near Portland the Pick A Part in Sherwood or off of Foster sometimes have them... and the half off weekends make them affordable.

Drivelines I have no idea

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals