• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Quick Question for everyone. please help me out

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i have a 2002 ranger edge. just installed keyless with remote start and alarm. bought a DEI 556SW to bypass the PATS system in the truck to enable remote start.... well little did i know i need another key. when i bought the truck (4 years ago) it came with only 1 key. JUST 1. at the time i didnt even ask about it... so here is the deal, the 556SW needs 2 keys to be programmed. i have 1. I need another. is there any way to get another key?? i need a spare anyways.

thx guys! please help me out i want to figure this out by tom.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Go to a Ford specific dealership with your VIN.

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Go to a Ford specific dealership with your VIN.
then i can get another key? i can drive the truck over there thats no big issue lol.... i can just disconnect the ignition wire to the harness of the alarm :)

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
A dealer or a place that makes keys can do it for you. I think it should be around $50-$65. im looking at getting myself a spare too.

My local hardware store told me it would either be $25 or $50 for a programmed key. I checked a key place and it was $28 if you already had 2 or $65 for a second key. With only 1 key they need to use a scan tool to program it.

Last edited:

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my only fret is the price for one... and second, was unsure if you can program another only with one key. i read in many places to program a new key you have to have 2. i hope im wrong there

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
To get a second key made on a PATS vehicle you need to go to the dealership. They will charge you the cost of the key, typically $40 plus the cost to hook it up to their computer to program second key.

If you had two keys and needed a third they wouldn't have to hook it up the computer and you would only have to pay for the third key (plus a programming fee if you wanted them to program it for you, but I think you can do this yourself).

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
To get a second key made on a PATS vehicle you need to go to the dealership. They will charge you the cost of the key, typically $40 plus the cost to hook it up to their computer to program second key.

If you had two keys and needed a third they wouldn't have to hook it up the computer and you would only have to pay for the third key (plus a programming fee if you wanted them to program it for you, but I think you can do this yourself).
only have one. i hope its not an arm and a leg.... :annoyed:

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

not entirely true, other places besides a dealer can do it.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
not entirely true, other places besides a dealer can do it.
Well, dealer or not, someone has to hook it up to their specialized equipment and they'll want you to pay.

Around here at least, I know of no other places to take it besides the dealership.

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
d man, where are you located?

Wetbed0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I went through this a few months ago. You buy the keys from ebay because they are only $10 or $15 a piece. Then you go to your local hardware store, not lowes or homedepot, and have them cut the keys to match your old one, another $2-$3 a key. Finally you go the the dealer and ask for them to program your new keys. This takes about 30 minutes to an hour and $40-$50. Otherwise the dealer charges $40-$50 for a key and I don't know how much they charge to cut them. Hope this helps.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Our Ace Hardware does the key with the security codes now. Is that the same thing? I had them make a spare key for my 99 Ranger since it has the chip in it. It was $18.00 if I remember right. I just wanted a third key just in case one goes out. I switch keys every other week so I use a different one as not to wear it out.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder

d_man1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my dealer quote was outrageous! $250 :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals