• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

radiator

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have no room for anything but my 4cyl radiator without a lot of cutting I was wondering if I could use my stock one with a fan and shroud on one side and electric fans on the other and if it would cool alright. Also need driveshaft help

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I need a new slip yolk that has a bigger u joint on it so I can get a conversion joint to go to the tcase. Not sure what year splines will work

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have no room for anything but my 4cyl radiator without a lot of cutting I was wondering if I could use my stock one with a fan and shroud on one side and electric fans on the other and if it would cool alright.
Stock 2.3L rad is to small. Get rid of the stock fan and shroud, use a good electric fan. Some here use a 4.0 HD radiator with good luck. However it didn't keep my engine cool. I'm running a Griffin 16"X31" radiator it took very little trimming for it to fit.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Cooling is the very hard to solve as there is limited space for a radiator with sufficient cooling area. You may need to modify the header panel.

I've actually installed a second radiator below the James Duff unit made for the 5.0 swap.

Most of the V8 conversions you see have mostly stock HP. You may get buy with a factory V6 radiator. Don't skimp on the fan!

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I might just get a radiator out of my bronco 302 and make it fit

originalnitro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I might just get a radiator out of my bronco 302 and make it fit
Good luck with that. The 16"H X 31"W in my ranger goes the frame rails to the top of the core support. Whit the filler cap sticking up past the top of the core support 3/4". The radiator in my 96 Bronco is 21" H X 31.5"W.

gold stallion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302-460-281
Transmission
Automatic
i ran into the same thing. i actually used a radiator out of a toyota not sure out of wat toyota though. but i work at oreilly's so i just went through out books until i found the largest 3 core aluminum radiator that i know that would fit. mine works great at keeping it cool. however i did have to do some cutting and triming.i've got a pic on here somewhere if ud like me to upload it and i can also get that part number to. i think it cost me 89 bucks for the radiator but that was my cost i think regular customer cost is about 140

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that would be great if you could send me some pictures of it. I already cut the support a little to fit a full size radiator but stopped cause I still wanted support. right now I can fit a radiator 19 inches tall and 31 inches wide. I would love to see pictures on what other people have done. All I have left to do is wire the fuel pump up which im not sure about, then the alternator wiring and msd box. Im not good at wiring, if you could fill me in on what you did that would great. also need a drive shaft but that I will have made I made the front but i want the rear balanced. thanks again.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used the 91-94 HD Explorer radiator, it works fine with my stock 302 with a pusher fan so far. Rad is in the stock location on the stock mounts.

I have been thinking about moving the radiator ahead and with a different belt system (5.0 Explorer) and seeing if I can't get a mechanical fan in there.

The electric works fine though, I just like the simiplicity of a mechanical fan, that and while I there I might as well slip the cam out of the Explorer too...

Last edited:

gold stallion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302-460-281
Transmission
Automatic
yea i moved mine forward with the toyota rad. and i can fit a mechanical fan in. however u have to switch to serpentine system or u have to get just a two or one groove crank pulley depending on if u have P/S or not. i don't have power steering so i'm gonna have to wait for my new 1 groove crank to come in from summit then i'll take pics with the mech fan on. however i'll get those numbers for the rad and pics tomorrow. also on the alternator my 91 originaly had a 2.3 4cyl so i just used the alternator from my 3.0 which pluged right up and had the same mounting on the 302 as the original 302 alternator. however i did have to buy the heavy duty alternator to keep the battery from dieing every so often

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea i moved mine forward with the toyota rad. and i can fit a mechanical fan in. however u have to switch to serpentine system or u have to get just a two or one groove crank pulley depending on if u have P/S or not. i don't have power steering so i'm gonna have to wait for my new 1 groove crank to come in from summit then i'll take pics with the mech fan on. however i'll get those numbers for the rad and pics tomorrow. also on the alternator my 91 originaly had a 2.3 4cyl so i just used the alternator from my 3.0 which pluged right up and had the same mounting on the 302 as the original 302 alternator. however i did have to buy the heavy duty alternator to keep the battery from dieing every so often
There are so many different belt setups out there it is hard to say what kind of pulley you need. Mine is a two belt crank pulley but I only use the outside one, the inside one was only for the smog pump and AC compressor.

The water pump, alternator and power steering pump all share the same micro V belt, it isn't a serp.

Are you running EFI? My little 45A or whatever a 2.9 came with alternator is doing fine with my 302, but is carbed. Another perk with the Explorer setup is you get a 135a alternator.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I used a radiator from a 97 Ranger with a 4.0 V6 and HD cooling. I was able to cut the lower part of my core support out and move my rad foward. I am using all of the stock Explorer V8 FEAD and clutch fan. I reused my Ranger's stock 3.0 V6 fan shroud and had to cut one side of it to make it work. I am using a stock V8 Explorer upper rad hose and a stock V6 Explorer lower hose and they fit just like factory.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used a radiator from a 97 Ranger with a 4.0 V6 and HD cooling. I was able to cut the lower part of my core support out and move my rad foward. I am using all of the stock Explorer V8 FEAD and clutch fan. I reused my Ranger's stock 3.0 V6 fan shroud and had to cut one side of it to make it work. I am using a stock V8 Explorer upper rad hose and a stock V6 Explorer lower hose and they fit just like factory.
That is downright inspirational right there. :icon_thumby:

Does the Ex water pump have a smaller inlet? I tried the V6 hose on mine and there was no way out would have gone on the water pump... otherwise it would have worked great.

Last edited:

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I just looked at a mustang water pump and a Explorer water pump and the Explorer water pump hose bib is a little smaller. That might be all the diffrence you need need to make it work. It worked on mine. Thank you for the compliment......

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey thanks man. I got my radiator in now. I used one from a camaro it worked good firing her up tomorrow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals