• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger H.O. Build (3.3 morana turbo)

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
go to rogueperformance.com and look up his mods he has all the math listed there, i used that math to figure out my injector size and fuel pump capacity, the site itself is very informative. however i am working on the design of a complete intake system that does away w/ the two piece upper and lower and seperates the coolant runner/thermostat housing/oil backsplash and the intake manifold itself.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly, I would port/polish the lower manifold and either build an upper or work over a '98-'00 upper. You are forcing air into the engine so I don't know how much benefit you will find from a "tuned" manifold.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
the purpose of this is to enlargen the ports to almost beyond lower manifold diameter specs, make a straighter flow path and make it to accept a larger throttlebody than what the upper intake can handle. plus ill be designing the intake to use square flues which edelbrock proved yrs ago have better flow charcteristics than round ports. i have the lower splash guard/coolant runner designed in a beta stage just need to get more pics made of the intake itself. ill post them all after i get the initial kinks worked out.

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
just build an upper box many turbo cars runn an square box bolted to an oem lower. Your forcing air in.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
just build an upper box many turbo cars runn an square box bolted to an oem lower. Your forcing air in.
that or he could do a type of hybrid. a large round "pipe" as a plenum chamber, connected to the stock lower intake mani with six streight runners. much like the one pictured, but for 6 cylinders. this would give him his larger TB, but you could taper the six runners down to the lower mani size, increasing velocity and maintaining a smooth transition between pipe sizes. the lower manifold could be extrude honed to wallow it out as much as possible. i have a feeling the head ports are more of a limit on how big you can go than the lower manifold.

building a custom lower intake manifold/valley cover/coolant crossover/t-stat housing just sounds like a whole lot of work for not much gain IMO.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, I agree with Wicked. Your heads will need to be worked to even take advantage of the custom intake. Granted, do a nice port and polish job on the lower to squeeze some more flow from it. I would assume a similar box set up as the forced 5.0s are running. With the ability to side-mount the throttle body (like the 5.0Ls) you eliminate the headache of large piping that needs to be fit between the fan shroud and hood. It would clean up the engine bay and just might prove beneficial because the intake piping doesn't have hot radiator heat blowing across it.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i considered that but i also fig it would be difficult to make and be costly, the straighter the simpler the better in my opinion. ill see what i can come up w/, almost ready to post a pic on here, need to do a lil revision that me and wicked mentioned to me earlier.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
okay here are the initial drawings, comments/constructive criticism are greatly appreciated.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
the magnaflow sounds like a screaming beatin cat at hi rmps

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
the lighter side of me:
Originally Posted by Mark_88
...that's pretty scary...I'd send me a Get Well card if I ever woke up beside someone like that...
...my response...thats a case of double coyote ugly, double cuz you chew your arm off to get out from under her, and you chew the other arm off so you dont drink anymore...

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
well guys i hate to say this (which youve probably already guessed from the lack of posts) this project has been ended. parts versus income do not allow me to purchase or work on this truck, that along with a lack of place to do the work atm. i bought another truck (92 ranger 2wd 2.3 m50d) that needs a lot of work and since its my dd as of 1/09 it takes precedence over my 3.0 hobby build. ive done a lot of work to the 92 ranger and thankfully my friend that showed me the trk to buy in the first place (was walking for a month) helps me work on the little truck, and when im through with it agreed to let me work on the 3.0 at her house. in the meantime my coworker has an 02 edge 3.0 2wd and slung two rods (one thru oilpan the other cracked the block) and he wants the motor, have considered selling it to him since my chassis needs to be gutted on the 93. i just dont want to give up my first truck and my dads old middle aged toy, guy already said he wants to buy the truck to rob the block redo it and then crush the body/frame, wish i could afford to breathe new life into her, and not quite willing to let her go yet! just wanted to update you guys if you were watching the build.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Its alright man. I pulled my 302 last winter for a stroker build. The short block is complete (forged 331ci) but working 60+ hours a week doesn't leave much time to finish it up. Maybe by this spring I'll have her done.

Anyway, if your friend wants the 3.0L and you want the chassis... pull the engine and sell it to the guy and you'll have a good start to a 5.0L build later on. It'll be cheaper (since cost is a concern) and you'll have plenty of performance.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
well thats not going to happen he found a used engine online w/ 62k miles and a 1 yr unlim mileage warranty shipped to his door for 950 bux, my truck will be in one piece with matching numbers, just have the piss modded out of her. would love to do a v8 swap in the future, just not to either of these trks at the moment, maybe after i get the 93 going ill rip the 2.3 out of 92 2wd ext cab and have some fun with it...good luck with your project and i understand the work schedule, i dont pull it but wish i had the pay to say the least. cheers!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals