• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Noob help

Snafu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I don't know much about rangers and my Chilton manual isn't giving much insight, i have a couple questions. I have a 1988 Ranger XLT V6 first question: My truck didn't come with a fuse panel cover so I was wondering what years would work for a cover seeing as I don't think the JY will have an 88' Ranger in the yard. Next my manual doesn't really tell me how i am supposed to get my spare tire off the holder, it has an eye bolt with a nut i believe on the other side but I don't have any room to get to the nut with a socket, I tried sticking the handle of my socket wrench in the eye of the bolt and cranking on it but that didn't help. Last but not least, my E-brake doesn't lock in but it does work, I am wondering how to fix this it is difficult it get down in the floor well to look at the set up but something must be missing to keep it from locking. Thanks for any insight into these problems.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pretty much any 83 to 88 Ranger should do you for a fuse cover. If you can't find one in your junk yard give me a preferred color. I know where I can find a dozen or so in just about every color the 1st gen came in.

Spare tire. Take the bolt that is right behind the plate out. The big one out at the end of the arm the spare rests on. Then pull the flip-lip out and the whole arm drops down. You might have to put some effort into it. Mine is kinda stiff from dis-use.

As for the parking brake, your gonna have to stick your head down there and look. Sounds like the ratchet is busted. You might get lucky and the release is just stuck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals