• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger or Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

totustuus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Newb here-

I don't currently have a truck. Had an 88 F-250 4x4 a few years ago but sold it. I considering getting a well used small truck as I find them very practical.
All the reading I've done suggests that the Tacoma is probably the most solid small truck around. However, I've also heard good things about the Ranger.
The Fords are certainly a bit less $.
So, I have a couple of questions-

1-What's your experience with Ranger's as far as longevity and reliability.
2-I'd like a 4WD model with a 5 speed. What is the preferred engine for lasting a lot of miles (with proper care of course).
3-What kind of fuel economy can I expect with a 4WD Ranger.
4-Are there preferred model years?

Thanks!

Jerry

Paul Wills

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've had a couple of Rangers - '86 & '91. Very reliable trucks. Seemed like they would run forever!

Never had a 4 wheel drive, though. Seems like 4x4s have more things to break.

I recently read an internet truck comparison which ranked the Ranger last out of 7 trucks. But the funny thing was, the Ranger was ranked first in the Reliability category with a 9/10. Most of the other trucks had reliability rankings in the 6's & 7's. That sold me. I'll take a truck that doesn't break down over others with more recently updated interiors. http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Compact-Pickup-Trucks/

Tacoma is a nice truck, too. You won't go wrong with one. But you will pay more.

paulw
2010 Ranger Sport 4.0L

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
87 2.9L 4x4 5speed, manual everything.

Never had a major problem.

IMO the late 1st and 2nd gen so about 86-94 are the best ones.

Look for a 2.9 or a 4.0, they are the better engines, although the 3.0 is sturdy too. 3.0 vs 2.9/4.0 is a long standing debate in the Ranger community.

89 and up have the better, Mazda 5 speeds, but I never had a problem with my Mitsu trans until I put the wrong fluid in it.

I'd definitely be looking for one with manual t-case and manual hubs. They are both much more reliable than their automatic/electronic counterparts.

HardcoreKeith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Duratec 23
Transmission
Manual
Since you're going 4WD, I'd make sure that whatever your model year you get, it has the 4.0. Pre-2001 you get the OHV Cologne V6 4.0, later than that you get the Ford Explorer SOHC 4.0 V6. Either one's cool in a way. Definitely skip the 3.0.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Some guys on here have had rangers with over 200 thousand miles on them.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I looked at tacomas, and they're definitely nice trucks to be sure...unfortunately when I was looking at them I found they cost about twice as much as an equal Ranger.

So I bought a Ranger and I couldn't be happier. I've had mine about a year and the only thing I've had to fix was a bad relay on the starter circuit. Most of the people who say bad things about Rangers are people who don't actually own them. Just do what I did, take a look around the forums for a while and make your choice from there.

As far as your questions I personally think the 3.0 is more reliable than the 4.0. However there seems to be a lot of people who believe the 4.0's huge power gains are worth the slightly lower reliability. Odds are they're right.

I haven't had any major problems with my truck and it's never left me stranded.

Everybody has their preferred model years but there really aren't any bad years.

If I REALLY behave myself and have a flat stretch of highway with no traffic I can squeeze almost 30mpg highway out of my truck. This winter the only driving I do is letting it warm up five minutes and then driving five minutes to my girlfriends house...and repeating it on the way back. Even with that I'm getting about 18mpg.

Also as a point of reference, I have the smallest motor with the tallest gears in a 2wd truck. You probably won't get quite those numbers with a 4x4 v6

Last edited:

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
Have you not heard of all the recalls from the toyotas frames falling apart?

Plus, for the price of a toyota (way too expensive) you can have a much nicer ranger.

My 4.0 litre has 212 000 miles on it, and runs super smooth, no problems.

Llong story short...get a ranger. No doubt there are some BA toyotas out there, but for the money Id rather have a ranger.

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
Some guys on here have had rangers with over 200 thousand miles on them.
i would be one of them. i have a 3.0 auto 4x4. its a little slower but gets me everywhere i want to go. never has given me any problems either. regular maintenance goes a long way with anything, but with a ranger, it will last forever.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
bsides tacoma seats are like wood benches
the Ranger has a better, nicer and comfortable interior
something u wont regret while driving long trips

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
bsides tacoma seats are like wood benches
the Ranger has a better, nicer and comfortable interior
something u wont regret while driving long trips
Have you been in a late model Tacoma? I know you haven't.

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Well, pretty much the same thing... but I had an Explorer with 365,xxx km which equals 219,xxx mi. I never had one problem with it aside from a cracked radiator. Rangers and Ranger Based Vehicles last forever, my current '92 has 362,xxx km on it now, and it runs like a champ, even with me baggin' on it every weekend. I've never experience any trouble with any of my RBV's that was super major. I'm sure most everyone on here has nothing but good things to say about their trucks.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
200+ thousand miles on an rbv is common, the chassis are rock solid (especially TTB rigs), the manual trannies and transfer cases are bulletproof, axles tried and true, engines are just as good as anything else with proper care, 2nd gen and up interiors are very nice. overall a great setup.

very capable offroad and quite simply, a no bs truck. aftermarket support is big and replacement parts are cheap and easy to find. i suppose fuel economy is great with the 4 banger.

Last edited:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Have you been in a late model Tacoma? I know you haven't.
here we go again...
hes looking for used cheap trucks so Ranger seats are better

anyway what u doing here? this is not Tacoma station

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I wanted a tacoma when i first started looking for a truck. The best i could find was a '94 with over 120,000 miles for $4000. You can find a similar ranger for half that. Sure I bought the cheapest one i could find and it died on me, but clearly maintenence was neglected on it. Im pretty sure it still had the original fuel filter and i know it had the original plugs and wires at 128,000 miles. And even though I have a dead cylinder it still starts and runs, heck id even say it starts better than my sisters neon in the cold. The damn thing refuses to completely die. i know my next truck is going to be a ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals