• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Cantilever

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
I've been getting more and more questions recently about my cantilever set up on the rear, so I thought I'd make a thread with some pics and info.

I'm slowly turning my truck into a desert worthy rig, but want to have that sleeper look, and to use my bed 100% since it's a truck after all. I'm pretty good friends with Brandon @ BTF Fabrication, and through shooting the shit with him about what I want to do with my truck, we decided to develop a cantilever kit. Dixon Bros had just released their bolt on kit, but I wasn't enthused about forking over $1500 for the kit, and still needing shocks. I'm not going to post prices, but let's just say that if you were to get the same that I have, it could easily be done for less than the price of the Dixon Bros kit. This kit is also fully bolt on, but requires cutting out the stock spare tire carrier and relocating the spare, just like the Dixon kit.

For those of you that don't know what cantilever is, it is a method of mounting the shocks and using a pivoting lever to achieve the same goals as mounting shocks through holes in the bed using a bed cage. With the 2.5x10" stroke shock I have, I'm getting over 1.5" of suspension travel for every 1" of shock stroke. Coupled with a set of Deaver leaf springs, and some 2" drop hangers and 6" shackles a friend and I designed in Solidworks when I was still a Mechanical Engineering major at Cal Poly, I have a rear suspension set up that can handle the big bumps, but won't kill me on the streets.

In the pictures below you can see the kit installed on my truck at full droop. The brake line looks rigged on there because I did an 8.8 swap at the same time and due to complications with tools breaking and the RuffStuff 8.8 swap kit having holes too small for the center pin of my Deavers (with no drill bit big enough to resize), it being 11PM and needing to pack for a week long trip to Yosemite the next day, I rushed. It's been fixed, looks better, and works perfectly. I have more pictures, but photobucket is down at the moment and I'm only allowed to upload 5 pictures per post.

Sorry this has been so wordy, here are pictures.

2.5x10" remote reservoir FOA smooth bodies

Deaver F23 pack (similar to F31, but with a longer main leaf)

Shackles and Hangers

Droop (I can get more, but this is with the shackle and hangers in the stock location)

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
looks good

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's badass I like that. Was it hard to get the valving right?

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
not really. at first the valving i ordered was way off, but it wasnt any harder to deal with than a normal set up. i'm no valving expert though, and it's not perfect. but for me and my front end right now it's great

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats a nice setup, lets you get away with alot shorter shock

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
stealth ftw now mexi's and honda pro's wont jack your shiz cause it aint got a bed cage or sicky gnar LT exposed.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
But with the bedcage no one asks you to help them move :icon_thumby:

blk&blu03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice! little help please

hey looks good mac i was wondering were you got your shackles and hangers from i want to keep stockish hieght and have the blocks in the back those are going out when the deavers come but those shackles are sweet were could i pick a pair of that shackle and hanger combo up and what is it gunna cost me

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
holy crap, punctuation helps a lot.

a friend and i designed them in solidworks at school. his parents own a water jet business, so he had the parts cut out and welded up. think i paid close to $100 for them, but it was like 2 years ago. kartek sells drop hangers though, last I checked they were $60.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I love this setup. this is badass.

Would you be willing to share the plans. I have two trucks and would love this setup on my trucks.

blk&blu03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
really

thanks man sry not an english major

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i came up with my own solution. be so lazy and horrible at helping others, that no one asks favors of you.
Haha I can believe that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals