• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear dana 35 jeep axle swap questions

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if i ran a d35 just because i could get them for FREE all day long because noone wants them then i could tell u how to do it, but its a swap that is never done, period

DPoffroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Man there is just a Colossal amount of trash talk about the D30's!!!

To be honest it's a great axle for an sas! I'm an xj owner myself but that "boat anchor" some of you guys talk about has much less constant moving parts than the D35 making it far superior as far as maintance and reliability! Hell I ran 37" Goodyear MT/R's on a D30 and never once broke a shaft. It's all about how one drives. But I will say that the D35 is about equal to the 7.5. They make all sorts of gear ratios for the D30 that you can get to match your stock rear

oh and for all the ones laugh about the D30

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Man there is just a Colossal amount of trash talk about the D30's!!!

To be honest it's a great axle for an sas! I'm an xj owner myself but that "boat anchor" some of you guys talk about has much less constant moving parts than the D35 making it far superior as far as maintance and reliability! Hell I ran 37" Goodyear MT/R's on a D30 and never once broke a shaft. It's all about how one drives. But I will say that the D35 is about equal to the 7.5. They make all sorts of gear ratios for the D30 that you can get to match your stock rear
The 7.5 is stronger than the D35.

The D30 would be great if the gears weren't so weak by the time you gear it deep enough to be worth a shirt. That and unit bearings suck.
but its a swap that is never done, period
It has been done, I think it was Craigslist that I saw a Ranger with a set of XJ axles :buttkick:

DPoffroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was runnin 4.56's and Never had one problem, like I said it's all how one drives. Also i would only consider it if it is a non vacuum lock axle.

And what's your expalantion on the 7.5 being stronger?

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
axle's are axle's i know people that could wheel 44's on the dana 28 and make it last forever. and i know people that could destroy rockwell's with 31's like it has been stated it's all how you drive, i gave the good ole dana 30 a whoopin and she held together. i do agree the unit bearing BLOW

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I was runnin 4.56's and Never had one problem, like I said it's all how one drives. Also i would only consider it if it is a non vacuum lock axle.

And what's your expalantion on the 7.5 being stronger?
28 splines vs 27, also the shafts are bigger, 1.16" vs 1.2". Pretty sure the tubes are bigger too.

Open or locked? And sometimes being nice to your shit won't get you anywhere. Once you get to 4.56 and 4.88, the D30 is known for eating gears, especially if you upgrade the shafts. Never seen anybody break gear teeth on the TTB D35. If it weren't for the weak gears, unit bearings and live axle setup, the D30 would be very ideal for RBV swaps IMO. I really don't care what you run, as long as it makes you happy and I don't have to help you fix your junk on the trail all the time :icon_rofl:

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was runnin a dana 30 and helped more people with big axle's cuz they thought they were indistructable. telll ya what changing spider's and axle shaft's on the trail in NO fun. like ive stated before the only time I had to limp home was after I smoked the factory ranger 8.8 rear and the D30 drug her home the whole way at 55 with a nasty malt maker in the rear. well i had to limp home when i ripped the rear shackle hanger off as well but that's not completely axle related.

DPoffroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
28 splines vs 27, also the shafts are bigger, 1.16" vs 1.2". Pretty sure the tubes are bigger too.

Open or locked? And sometimes being nice to your shit won't get you anywhere. Once you get to 4.56 and 4.88, the D30 is known for eating gears, especially if you upgrade the shafts. Never seen anybody break gear teeth on the TTB D35. If it weren't for the weak gears, unit bearings and live axle setup, the D30 would be very ideal for RBV swaps IMO. I really don't care what you run, as long as it makes you happy and I don't have to help you fix your junk on the trail all the time :icon_rofl:
Well first off you forgot one measurement in which they compare is that the 35 has a larger ring and pinion, which is miniscule just like the splines and the shaft diameter

mine was true trac'd with moly shafts, oh and anyone running a tire bigger than a 33 knows that you should replace the unit bearing with the HD bearing

DPoffroad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not to bloat but I'd say this is a good reason that I'd probably have the decency to stop and help you fix what ever you break, I'm just not an ass like that:icon_cheers:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thanks guys but i found an explorer i can get for a very very good price, so ill be going the dana 35/8.8 and 4.0 route

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I will say I had a bearing on my D30 grenade the other day but I had no clue to there age or how hard they had been ran before I got the axle. But I will say changing the bearing took no time at all to change and will be doing the other side very very soon for saftey since I have been doing alot of highway drive lately.

I went from a D28 to a D30, upgrade IMO, plus now my truck is way more capable then it would have ever been too.

All axles have there advanges and disadvatages.

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I will say I had a bearing on my D30 grenade the other day but I had no clue to there age or how hard they had been ran before I got the axle. But I will say changing the bearing took no time at all to change and will be doing the other side very very soon for saftey since I have been doing alot of highway drive lately.

I went from a D28 to a D30, upgrade IMO, plus now my truck is way more capable then it would have ever been too.

All axles have there advanges and disadvatages.

x1

super quick and easy to yank an axleshaft out on the trail if needed as well! 5 lug nut's two caliper bolts and 3 bearing bolt's. had to pull a mangled brake dust shield off a buddy's jeep on the trail and it took all of 10 min's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals