• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

removing the o2 sensor...

fordguy64

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok well im not sure if this is the correct area for this queston so if its not sorry...

ok well i have a 1996 4.0 5 speed it has the dual cats and an o2 sensor after that cat... i want to redo my exhaust and remove the cats.. so my question is is there any way to trick the computer into thinking the o2 sensor is still there and reading correctly?

Thanks
Rob

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
ok well im not sure if this is the correct area for this queston so if its not sorry...

ok well i have a 1996 4.0 5 speed it has the dual cats and an o2 sensor after that cat... i want to redo my exhaust and remove the cats.. so my question is is there any way to trick the computer into thinking the o2 sensor is still there and reading correctly?

Thanks
Rob
theres no point.

leave it how it is and use the sensors. without them the truck will go bananas and not know how much fuel to put in. sensors help the truck run with maximum efficiency and power.

fordguy64

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if i left the o2 sensor there ans removed the cats would that be ok? im re doing the suspension and i dont really have room for the cats lol

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
No it will not be, without cats and OBDII truck will run like shit.

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
The o2 sensor upstream of the cat are used by the computer to adjust the air/fuel mixture. The o2 downstream of the cat are used by the computer to verify if the cat do is job. So you can remove the cat and the downstream o2 sensor and your engine will run fine, but you will not pass emmision test(and reject more harmfull gases into atmosphere), CEL will be always ON.

fordguy64

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the cel is on anyways... the egr valve... another thing on the list...

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Well, the truck will be thinking its running rich, so it will run extremely lean and it won't be any fun....

So you kinda have to leave it.

aggoodin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The o2 sensor upstream of the cat are used by the computer to adjust the air/fuel mixture. The o2 downstream of the cat are used by the computer to verify if the cat do is job. So you can remove the cat and the downstream o2 sensor and your engine will run fine, but you will not pass emmision test(and reject more harmfull gases into atmosphere), CEL will be always ON.
This is exactly right. If you can stand the CEL you can leave the cats out and the sensors in. The first o2 sensor adjusts the mixture and the second is looking for a difference from the first to verify a working cat.

I ran no cats on an 02 Mitsubishi Lancer for years, the only things that happened was the smell and the heat coming out of the tailpipe is pretty nasty without cats, it burned the paint around the bumper opening in the back. My mileage was up to 32mpgs.

rangerbert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I used to have a 93 5.0 mustang factory headers, straight H pipe flowmaster mufflers O2 sensors in the straight H pipe the mustang ran fine. When I needed to get it to pass emissions I put the cats back on.

aggoodin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Honda folks take and put a spark plug spacer that has the same threads as the o2 sensor on the 2nd sensor. This pulls it back out of the pipe and changes its exposure to the heat and makes it read different than the first sensor and fools the computer into thinking there is a cat in between.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals