• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing radiator 1996 ranger 4.0

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well after 15 years my radiator separated a bit in the top left hand corner seam, it's beyond any type of stop leak so I am looking for people who have changed their radiator before under my model year and HOW HARD IS IT.

I just priced a new one at autozone for $182.96 and advance auto for $183.98 is this a FAIR price or should I call even more auto parts stores? also what about a radiator from my local salvage yard? should I even mess around with an old radiator that might fail in a month?

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I've already replace the radiator in my 96' 2.3L Ranger. Really, its not that hard. Drain, take hoses off, unbolt, pull out; simple. The one I bought is from Advance Auto, it is the Ready-Rad.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Well after 15 years my radiator separated a bit in the top left hand corner seam, it's beyond any type of stop leak so I am looking for people who have changed their radiator before under my model year and HOW HARD IS IT.

I just priced a new one at autozone for $182.96 and advance auto for $183.98 is this a FAIR price or should I call even more auto parts stores? also what about a radiator from my local salvage yard? should I even mess around with an old radiator that might fail in a month?
Tell you what, if you buy a used radiator you are taking a chance of course. Some scrape yards will stand by their parts. If the radiator has never been repaired (holes braised over for one) and it looks really clean and no damage to it at all (dents or cracks or damaged fins), I would say buy it. My old Suzuki Samurai has the original radiator in it and it has never been repaired or had any bad bumps or dents (just small stuff from wheeling).

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I just recently replaced mine. It was a very straight forward process. The brand I used was Spectra Premium. Only I got boned by napa because I thought it would be napa brand, but it was just in a napa box and costed $50 more. Check rockauto.com

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Don't bother with a salvage yard radiator - they often are not worth the trouble. I think I could change one of those radiators blindfolded in the dark in a snowstorm and be done before my hands got cold (because I made the mistake of buying a junkyard radiator once upon a time - within two months I had gone through 4 radiators from the junkyard). Just because it has no holes brazed over doesn't mean that it will not spring a leak at the tank seam or the like.

I'd go with the Autozone rad if it was me. Not that I have any special love for AZ, but their radiators are lifetime warrantied (for as long as you own the vehicle) and they don't give you a hassle about replacing them (if they do, just call their district manager - the number should be posted on the front door somewhere).

For replacing your radiator....

1) Drain the coolant
2) Unhook the upper and lower radiator hoses (transmission lines too if applicable)
3) Remove the two bolts on top that hold the fan shroud in place, lift up on fan shroud to unhook the bottom and slide it over the fan towards the motor.
4) Remove the two bolts (one on each side on the top of the rad) that hold the rad in place. Tilt rad towards motor and lift out.
5) Reverse steps to replace. Fill with coolant when done.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I went to Ebay late last night and there are plenty of brand new radiators up for sale. Free shipping. Starting at $77 with Buy It Now. Search 'Ford radiator new' and there is a ton of them for all years and motor sizes. FREE SHIPPING is good!!!!

R***A**N**G**E***R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
EBAY RADIATOR, what is stopping me other then shipping time??

I found this on ebay if I am not mistaken this radiator is EXACTLY what I need PERIOD???

Lets go over the PRO'S AND CONS of me buying THIS radiator.

PROS,,,,,$89.30
Buy It Now/Free shipping

PROS,,,,,Exactly what I need

PROS,,,,,Limited lifetime warranty

PROS,,,,,Located in the USA

PROS,,,,,Ebay seller has had almost 50,000 transactions with ALMOST perfect feedback

CONS,,,,,?

CONS,,,,,?

CONS,,,,,?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-2-Row-Aluminum-Radiator-V6-4-0-/290617134259?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:1996|Make:Ford|Model:Ranger&vxp=mtr&hash=item43aa218cb3

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I see no Cons.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
GO FOR IT, BRO!!! My cats say ' GO FOR IT, BRO '!!!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals