• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing the ignition pickup coil

Kenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 FI
Transmission
Manual
Hey all I've been trying to diagnose a "misfire" under acceleration. I've got new plugs, wires, cap, rotor. I just bought the pickup coil and I got into my distributor and was wondering if I got to pull the distributor to replace the pickup coil? Thanks in advance for any and all help!:icon_thumby:

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, but it is easier to replace it that way. Crossing my fingers that I have not yet had one go bad on me but I have changed acoupel for others. Had to use a specialty bit from my electronics repair tools to change them though. It also helps I have thin long fingers:icon_cheers:

89Dog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The distributor has to be removed to change the ignition pickup. The distributor gear has to be removed from the shaft, and the shaft and the vane have to be slid out of the distributor body to access the pickup coil.

Kenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 FI
Transmission
Manual
I was afraid of that...:annoyed: Well after some research I think I'm going to do the ICM relocation and also get a new ICM as well. After all I've read through the research the ICM is bad on my unit. That will have to be done soon... If freaking Obama :thefinger: didn't shut down our local junk yard I would have been able to get this done today...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals