• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rescued Ranger / Yet Another 4.0 Swap

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Rescued Ranger / Yet Another 4.0 Swap (YA4.0S)

Little back story:
1989 2.9L 5sp XLT 4x4 - given up for dead, PO had pulled intake, said it was getting gas in the oil and filling up the pan, left it sitting open topped and no rear window. I picked it up for $400 which may have been a bit much looking back but was looking for a cheap 4x4 and thinking I’d swap in a 2.3Turbo I had sitting around if the 2.9 was not worth the trouble. After getting it home it was obvious that the little truck was ridden hard and put up wet quite often. Nasty, dirty, caked with mud, and bent up in some places. But really solid overall with little rust body wise.

Ended up putting the 2.9L back together and getting it running without problems BUT not a fuel in the oil problem but definitely anti-freeze in the oil problem. Checked the heads and both are cracked but otherwise it does run. Massive 2.9 lifter noise as well but after stuffing it full of radiator fix no more anti-freeze in the oil and it gets me around for now. Had to pressure wash about 100 lbs of Oklahoma red clay off the bottom of the thing and clean/purge the fuel tank and lines as well but it’s a "Rescued Ranger" now.

The 2.3T idea didn’t go over so well ( Thread Here ) so I kept an eye out for 4.0 options while throwing a few other upgrades to the old truck. New used wheels, 31s, bucket seats and console out of a 93 or 94 Mazda, gauges in the ash tray location to keep tabs on the non-existent oil pressure, some front lights, new headlights, a rebuild on the D28 u-joints, pulled the bent up rear bumper, and a spare tire mount made it more fun to look at and drive.

The Plan:
Just ran across what was advertised as a 92 Explorer chassis including 4.0, M5OD, D35 and 8.8. Seemed like a good deal for $375 so I picked it up for a future swap. The vehicle had burned inside so body and wiring was missing but the seller had already picked up a new headlight harness, engine harness, and X2X2 computer for a 92 Explorer including the airbox, mass air, and intake pipe. The seller had purchased the chassis earlier and was planning on a B-II swap but sold the Bronco instead so a perfect setup for me IMHO.

Doing a little homework revealed the “92” chassis is apparently really a “93+” after finding a couple “F3” parts on board. It has an EGR and the cam position sensor in the distributor hole so it appears to be at lest a 93 chassis. The existing 93 engine harness had been hacked up at the connectors so no big loss there as I will have to use the 92 version anyhow.

The Confusion:
At this point I’ve figured out nearly all the wiring swap / re-pinning I will need to do to merge the 92 computer/engine harness with the 93 trans harness and the 89 headlight harness and do not plan using the Explorer headlight harness as I just do not see that as the easiest route for my configuration.

The computer harness easily separates from the headlight harness and can be wired up without headlight harness changes for the most part. Maybe a new connector at the left rear area but otherwise pretty straight forward I think. I’ll just leave the EGR or pull and block it off, leave the cam sensor to fill the hole and use the 92 engine harness.

One downer is I guess the 93 injectors will NOT work with the 92 X2X2 computer? Right experts? So I will have to pickup a set of 92 and earlier versions. Anyone know what, if any, other Ford injectors are the same for the up to 92 Explorers? I have extra 19lb versions from a 87-93 Mustang EEC-IV but no clue yet as the compatibility.

What's Next?
Current plan is to pull the engine out of the chassis, check, clean and detail the 4.0 over the winter, new oil pump and other items as needed, and do the swap in the Spring. Don’t want to be caught short if we get bad weather this winter... if it ever gets here. Will use the M5OD as well and mix up a starter harness using the existing 89 parts. Eventually I’ll build an A/C harness and have to figure out how to make A/C lines work but that can wait. Plan on keeping my manual transfer case as well. I've already dropped a 4.0 radiator in and lower hose and plan on re-using that.

Other challenges I guess ahead are:
  1. Fuel line differences (they even cut the fuel lines for some reason?)
  2. Possible clutch line differences
  3. Shifter options (existing isolation rubber is melted)
  4. A/C Line Differences (but that can wait until summer)
  5. What other things to consider esp 93 Differences engine wise?

I am open to all those that have done this before and have read most of the swaps listed. It seems each one is unique however depending on year of the Ranger vs the donor. So many combinations possible. :dunno:

I want to say a big "Thanks" to fellow TRS member Steve Lewis - sbrslewis for some sway bar parts, some Rancho shocks, and a borrowed engine stand for this project. I also plan on following his Fender Cutting tech to open up the fenders on this old truck while also removing the bedside cancer on the backside.

I know, thread is useless without pics so here are a few before and currents. Will put up some others on the wiring soon as well just because I have them.

As found dead to the world:

Cleaned up, replaced rear window, in the driveway:

Cleaned up 2.9L Intake - running again:

Dropped in some gauges to track the non-existent oil pressure:

It's not a Squirrel cage - it's a RAT cage:

New eyes and painting the grill:

Looks much better:

New to it wheels and 31s:

Another good spot for a gauge IMHO:

Cracked 2.9L Head: :sad:

And the snot that comes with it: :icon_surprised:

Fixed this for now with a bunch of stop leak - nothing in the oil now.
Not a long term solution but I knew an upgrade/replacement was going to happen.

New(er) buckets and console - much nicer:

Testing a Driving Light Mount, all four are on now:

93 Explorer 4.0 Chassis:

Trans view: Note the cut out O2 sensor - Hope my existing 2.9 Exhaust works or I'll be patching this:

Perfect spot for this - screw holes even lined up on the mount:

Full Album to date is here if anyone cares:
http://s1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd480/nolenbucket/89%20Ranger%204x4/

I'll post up some harness pics soon. With the help of the 89 Ranger EVTM and the 92 Explorer EVTM it appears I can re-pin the black connector on the left side (tranny harness) of the 93 version, re-pin the gray chassis version to match up, use the existing power connectors on the passenger side, and only have to do some real splicing on the main engine to chassis harness in the left rear of the engine compartment.

The key is figuring out the functions for each connector and then matching up the function for each one with the new harness. Too back the EVTM doesn't have connector diagrams (that I can find at least) for the inline connectors showing function like they do for the end point ones.

-Stephen W Nolen

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Good start! I love a nice clean 2nd gen

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know that you can run a 92 harness on a 93 and bypass the cam senser. That would mean they would have the same sending units I'm not saying I know you can't but I would research that you might need a 93 harness.

I just tied the lights up front with connectors and the loom that goes under the cab and runs the fuel pump and tail lights the same way.

When you get this motor running good in this you will have a nice little truck you enjoy driving.

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Hope the overall sensors (besides injectors) are the same but I haven't done parts comparisons or measured sensors yet. My (limited) understanding was the X2X2 computer simply bank fired the injectors and double fires the plug at TDC and top of the exhaust stroke using the EDIS and crank sensor thus the three coils in the diagrams. If not I'll have to get replacement sensors or a 93 computer harness then neither of which is desirable. Thinkmill track down a 93 diagram tomorrow and see what the real differences are.

This is all new to me so any input on 92/93 differences is greatly appreciated!

Stephen

I don't know that you can run a 92 harness on a 93 and bypass the cam senser. That would mean they would have the same sending units I'm not saying I know you can't but I would research that you might need a 93 harness.

I just tied the lights up front with connectors and the loom that goes under the cab and runs the fuel pump and tail lights the same way.

When you get this motor running good in this you will have a nice little truck you enjoy driving.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good luck with it. I'm not sure of the differences. I had the donor when I did my swap.

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
January Update:
4.0 out of the '93 Explorer Chassis and beginning cleanup, basic tear down, and prep work for the swap in a couple months.

Fresh out of the chassis:

4.0 In the drive with one of the 2.3T motors that needed cleaned up as well:

WITH 1993 EGR Equipment on it. I have a '92 NON EGR X2X2 and harness so this has to go. Nothing against EGR, it actually can increase mileage and reduce emissions but not without controls:

With OUT EGR - is much cleaner for sure:

Stripped for another power washing and pull apart, cleaning, blasting, painting, re-wiring, and more...:

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah... Lights Up....

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Prepping for my 4.0 Explorer swap and the following Q's are still unanswered. I've seen some discussion on these but nothing really definitive but I may have missed it.

1) Clutch differences? I will be swapping the Explorer 5 sp in at the same time but not sure what the differences are at the clutch master cylinder. Unfortunately the Explorer chassis I have has the clutch hose cut up instead of removed. What can or can't I re-use from the 2.9 setup?

2) Throttle cable - Same situation - is the 2.9 throttle cable long enough to wrap around to the 4.0 intake? Or do I need a 4.0 or Explorer version?

3) Shifter - none on the M50D - will the 2.9 one work?

Otherwise they cut the fuel lines up between the chassis and engine as well which sucks but I think I can make that work. Plus I'm pretty ready for the wiring side of it based on my research and planning.

Comments? Ideas?

Just need to final clean / prep / paint the 4.0 and schedule the time to get it rolling.

-Stephen

1991fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
send them old lights my way, ill pay shipping haha

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
send them old lights my way, ill pay shipping haha
The old headlights? - The old headlight bucket mounts were broken and I simply cut them up to get them out and save the mounting bracket tabs.

I've see headlights go cheap on ebay every so often and picked those up for a great deal IMHO.

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
Cut the Fenders

Spent my birthday yesterday working on some land we are buying next to our house and on the Ranger. I had marked up the fenders to cut them some time ago and made it happen yesterday. Partly to cut out the rust in the bedsides and partly because I think it looks better with the 31's on it.

Before:

Full Size

After:

Full size

Close Up Rear before (you can see the rust here):

Full Size

And After:

Full Size

The No turning Back Point (beyond actually):

Full Size

Simple Flex View after rear cuts:

Full Size

Full Size

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals