• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Reuse old lifters or buy new?HV oil pump?

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I am rebuilding one of my 4.0s and have heard all kinds of things on the reuse of lifters.First off this engine has 165k miles and was well cared for and all of them look very good with minimal wear.In the past I have always bought new but I keep hearing as long as there is no play in the roller or any noticeable wear either on the sides or the push rod holes then they are still good for many more 1000s of miles.I have seen a few of these motors with 300k miles and more and did have valvetrain noise which I feel was in the top half of the engine not the lifters which commonly get the blame.The problem with them is they say the insides hold debrit and cannot be cleaned out,so I have also heard not to reuse them.Since I dont have any personal experience with reusing them I am looking to my friends on ranger station for solid advice.I generally dont like reusing anything but the lifters are so well made I feel like I'm not taking any chances if I do?Also what are the opinions on using a high volumn oil pump in the 4.0?These engines dont seem to have oiling issues(other than the top half which has to addressed by other means)Do they offer any extra protection or waste of money?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hmmmm

I am rebuilding one of my 4.0s and have heard all kinds of things on the reuse of lifters.First off this engine has 165k miles and was well cared for and all of them look very good with minimal wear.In the past I have always bought new but I keep hearing as long as there is no play in the roller or any noticeable wear either on the sides or the push rod holes then they are still good for many more 1000s of miles.I have seen a few of these motors with 300k miles and more and did have valvetrain noise which I feel was in the top half of the engine not the lifters which commonly get the blame.The problem with them is they say the insides hold debrit and cannot be cleaned out,so I have also heard not to reuse them.Since I dont have any personal experience with reusing them I am looking to my friends on ranger station for solid advice.I generally dont like reusing anything but the lifters are so well made I feel like I'm not taking any chances if I do?Also what are the opinions on using a high volumn oil pump in the 4.0?These engines dont seem to have oiling issues(other than the top half which has to addressed by other means)Do they offer any extra protection or waste of money?
Why are you rebuilding a 165K engine? What happened to it?
If the same camshaft is to be used the same rockers would be Ok for me to reinstall.
HOWEVER I ALWAYS take out the rocker systems from each lobe and keep them seperate. I then reinstall the same parts back on the same lobes as they were taken off of. I never mix and match parts.
Although your eye cannot see wear there is some wear and it isn't all the same.
High volume oil pumps are NOT needed nor are they wanted in our engines. The only purpose they serve is to hog up a few badly needed horsepower.
The stock pump will oil the engine far beyond the rpm it will ever see in our engines.
Big Jim:hottubfun::wub:

stx4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Those were my thoughts on the oil pump also so I will stay stock.It obviously did a good job.You always hear anytime you rebuild get a high volumn pump but I was told once a long time ago something that made a lot of sense and that was anytime a HV pump is used in a stock application it pumps all the oil up top and can leave inadequate oil in the bottom but I dont know everything so I asked anyway.On the engine I wasnt sure how it was took care of.I have an explorer with 256k miles that is slowly dying on me so I bought a junkyard engine to do up so I could have one ready when I pull the old one out.After inspecting everything in the bottom the shortblock could have easily stayed togeather which is aggravating to make yourself spend extra money when not needed and do extra work but you have to look at everything regardless.Its too much time to have to pull one back out because you didnt check everything and missed something.And yes everything was labeled as to where it came out of,that is always a given but there are probably some people out there that throw stuff in a pile and dont care where they go back.I fortuneately am not one of them.Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals