• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ring gear bolts backing out

DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone else had any trouble with ring gear bolts backing out. I have a 7.5" with a lockright and 4.56 gears. I torqued the bolts and used loc-tite on them and they still back out! :pissedoff: This has happened twice now. any suggestions???

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've NEVER heard of this? Is there no press fit on the carrier?

You're using RED Loctite, right? The blue stuff might as well be gear oil...

And do make sure you torque to spec with a torque wrench. Aim toward the high end of the spec given your problem.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Clean all the holes out and bolts off with brake parts cleaner, then dry. Apply liberal amounts of RED locktite. Torque to spec or even slightly above. You should not have a problem again.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i cant see them backing out if the bolts are good. did you look at the bolts? alot of times they get kinda stripped when removing them, due to the loctite on them. i always use new bolts. blue or red loctite, never a failure in over 10 years of installing gears. what kind of torque wrench do you have?

99MazdaB4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
You may have a slight vibration in your differential that it may be enough to work themselves out, but even then if the gear is seated properly, the bolts are torqued and loctited properly, then they shouldnt come out. Maybe allow a little more time for the loctite to cure before adding the fluid...maybe your truck just likes being called the danger ranger and its just trying to make itself more dangerous?

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
one thing...did you seat the ring gear first or did you pull it down with the bolts . and either way, did you check the runout on the gear?if it wasnt seated and perhaps reached torque, then that could be why. although, id say youd have some whining or humming issues

DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used new bolts and a Snap-on torque wrench(has been calibrated recently) and blue loc-tite that came with the kit. I'll try Red next time, but have to order some new hardware for now......need $$$$$$

RENTHAL74

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
my brother has a f150 w/8.8 and he had the same problem. There is a couple ways to prevent this. you can drill the heads of all the bolts and loop bailing wire through all of them, or put a small tack weld on the bolt to hold it. with the wire the bolts can still get loose but they cant back out. welding it is the sure fix, but when you take it apart again you will have to cut your welds to get the bolts out. after we got the bolts welded in, the pinion gear broke. we dont know if the problems are related yet, but the gears have a lifetime warranty so no big deal i guess.
good luck

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
maybe your diff is overheating. you could also be using the wrong gear oil. change the gear oil a bit more often so that it doesnt melt the loctite.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i'de put money on making sure the bolts and threads in the ring gear are clean,and check if the ring is seating.i use red locktite on ring gear bolts

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i still dont understand people having this problem

Klitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i still dont understand people having this problem
whats hard to understand about it? it happens, not everything is mf'd perfect, and if you look around its not very often you see this.
i went through so many new bolts trying to keep them in there with red loctite, i just gave up and tack welded the heads. even when my pinion broke 2 teeth, which i blame on the shock from bolts backing out and then getting knocked on, it only added 15 mins to the time it would have normally took to get the ring gear off.

i wonder if the brand quality has anything to do with it. or if the threads are damaged after one "slip up"

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i understand verything isnt perfect, but ive put in over 100 gearsets and i ve never had one back out. and ive personally only seen one come out on another guys car i know. just doesnt sem very common to me. maybe it is i guess

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals