• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RockRangerII refresh

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finished up the rear bumper. I still haven't figured out why when the ignition key gets turned on I get 8 volts sent to the brake light circuit. I will deal with that issue later.

Untitled by dresselhausfc, on Flickr

Sold my old front and rear bumpers. I am committed now to having to build a new one.

Then I started on my new lower link mounts/ transmission mount/ skid plate. My goal is to make the bottom of the truck smoother and thus easier to slide over rocks. At some point I came down hard on the passenger frame and bent it up between my lower link mounts and the skid plate. I did the same thing on my 86 ranger as well. Hard to see but it goes up about a 1/2" in the middle of the speed square.

Here is part of the driverside mount. I added some angle in the mounts to help the Johnny Joints work at a better angle.

Here it is mocked up on the frame rail.

Start on the passenger side tomorrow.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cut, assembled, and installed the passenger side frame rail bracket.

One thing I did on my last build was add a spacer to the link mounts when I built them. I have found if you weld a bracket with just a joint installed it it can be a bear to get the joints in and out after welding. What I have found that works perfect is a piece of galvanized roof flashing from Home Depot. I bought a roughly 8"x12" piece for $0.79. I think it is 24 gauge. It is just enough to make it easy to slide a joint in and out but when you tighten the nut and bolt it pulls in and still stays tight. I just tossed it on the plasma table and made a quick cut. I have never cut the material before so I just guessed at it. For its purpose it will work fine. Maybe later I will try to dial in however I don't see cutting much 24 gauge in my future.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Started on the main pan of the skid plate. Got this far till I ran out of steel. Once i get more steel I'll cut the rest of the pieces and get it all welded and installed. I am thinking about putting some HDPE plastic on the the bottom of it. Does anyone know where to get it? Need a 24x29" piece.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Picked up the tube for the bed, steel for a new front bumper and to finish the skid plate yesterday.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Started adding braces to the skid plate. It is all 3/16 plate the outside is 2" tall and the inner braces are 1" tall. Any opinion if it will be strong enough?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Thats plenty strong enough, but your adding some serious weight to this thing. I'd of built it out of 1/8" steel with hdpe...

SVT

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The factory skid plate I folded flat. My last skid plate was built out of 1/8" plate and 1" box tubing. I bent it. Now trying 3/16 so hopefully I can keep this one strait.

I am concerned about the weight a little but at least it is low. My BroncoII tank has a skid made out of 3/16 and I have smacked it numerous times and it is still strait.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Its a little more costly, but have you tried/thought of dimple dying 1/8" with the hdpe/uhmv bolted to that?

SVT

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I think for most of us 3/16" is overkill. But since you can fold 1/8" then we'll have to see how it does. Amazing workmanship and concept you have going on here.
Subscribed.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its a little more costly, but have you tried/thought of dimple dying 1/8" with the hdpe/uhmv bolted to that?

SVT
I don't have any dimple dies yet. Hopefully down the line I will skin it with plastic to help it slide on rocks better.

I think for most of us 3/16" is overkill. But since you can fold 1/8" then we'll have to see how it does. Amazing workmanship and concept you have going on here.
Subscribed.
Thanks. I have been wanting to make these changes for years just now have the chance. One thing for sure is the plasma table makes life so much easier. Just draw it on the computer and hit "print". Nice thing is it is easy to duplicate again.

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
Why the bronco 2 tank, you doing dual tank setup or you just wanting more weight in the back? Thought about doing duel setup, since I have 89 bronco 2 sitting here but dont know if I want to tear it all apart yet, and not sure how to do it, would have to run two fuel pumps or if they make kits, havent done much research. Any way cool project

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I put the doubler in and pushed the transfer case back the stock tank would no longer fit. The extra weight in the back made a huge difference as well as going from 14 gallons to 23 gallons. The extra cab trucks can swap a short bed standard cab tank in and make it work as well when doing the doubler.

miller time

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 1999
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 duals out the back 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
it would be a good ideer to drill hole in the skid plate for a drain you dont want to take it off every time to wash it

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals