• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rotary?

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone done it before? I know there's a huge issue with torque and gas mileage, but im thinkin about doin it to my 93 when I get another truck. I was thinkin about a triple with twin turbos

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Never seen that but I was beside an old RX-7 on the freeway once that had a hole cut in the hood and a Ford 2.9 intake manifold sticking out of it!

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
never heard of it, might be a fun project... not sure how the gearing of the rear end would work with it though, rx motors typically spin much faster than an internal combustion, so you would probably need much lower gears to keep the same speeds...

but due to the much higher rpm, you would be able to get away with less torque because of gearing

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
If I end up doin the swap it'll be just for a show truck. I'll swap rear ends and am definitely gunna swap gauges. I was also thinkin about doin an airbag suspension with it

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
less talky more buildy

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
do it!!! i wanna see!

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
skyline powered sn65

rotary sn95

i especially like the tiny fire extinguisher on the firewall, where you won't be able to reach it if the engine catches fire!

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=581785

why not a rotary ranger?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I know I want to do a five speed, but I wanna find a way to use a full length center consol (will be gettin bucket seats next year) and rig up a short throw. Anyone know how I could do this? I bet it'll take alot of linkages

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Rotary engines dont spin faster, they can achive higher rpms though due to fewer moving parts to slow it down. The rotary's acutaly go slow in the engine. The crank can be doing 9,000rpm but they are only doing 3,000rpm.

Doing this kind of swap isnt any harder then doing a 302 v-8 swap, your changing out the engine and tranny.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know I want to do a five speed, but I wanna find a way to use a full length center consol (will be gettin bucket seats next year) and rig up a short throw. Anyone know how I could do this? I bet it'll take alot of linkages
take a look at the new mustangs, they've got full consoles with a 6" stubby sticking out the top

Rotary engines dont spin faster, they can achive higher rpms though due to fewer moving parts to slow it down. The rotary's acutaly go slow in the engine. The crank can be doing 9,000rpm but they are only doing 3,000rpm.
crank speed is the only thing that will have any indication on ds speed... so yes, 9000rpm is a faster motor imo, even though it's different... kinda...

Rogue_Wulff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
As an owner of more than 1 rotary powered RX7, I say go for it. If you intend to have a boosted 2 rotor, or any form of 3 rotor, be sure you step up to the factory turbo transmission. Speaking of transmission, the non-turbo trans from an 81-91 RX7 looks almost identical to the TK5 used in older rangers, aside from the bellhousing. Stands to reason, as Toyo Kogyo is the corporate name for Mazda...... As such, the shifter location will be pretty close to the same as the truck, and they already have a fairly short throw shifter. Naturally, there are short-throw shifters available for these transmissions.
Rearend gearing will need to be in the 4.10-4.56 range if you plan to drive it much on the highway, of course, tire size will also factor into this equation. Stock gearing for most rotary cars was 3.90-4.30, boosted or not. The rotary trucks were geared much lower, 4.56-5.13 or thereabouts. The lower gearing was to help overcome the taller tires, along with added load carrying capacity.

I've considered swapping the 2.3 in my B2300 for a 13B if/when the 2.3 dies. If I were to do this, I'd most likely do something similar to this:

That's my 84 RX7. 6 port 13B with Edelbrock 600, header, and custom ignition system using 3 GM HEI's and 3 coils to fire 4 plugs. Boost is nice, but I love the simplicity of old school N/A stuff.
I know it doesn't seem logical to put a 600 CFM carb on a 1308cc (1.3L) engine, but I truely believe this engine could stand even more carb.......

MikeInID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just for clarification, the Wankel rotary is still an otto cycle internal combustion engine. And instead of crankshafts they have what are known as "eccentric shafts." My buddy had a late 80's rx-7 II that he'd done some serious work on (bridge-porting, intake, exhaust, NOx etc), and that sucker went like stink. I also had the privilege of driving a fully race-prepped '83 mariah rx-7 around the same time. Upshifting out of first at 13,000 rpm and over 60 mph: what's not to like? I say go for it. With some work they can be made to be retardedly fast.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals