• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

running strange

tonyjklh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok lets see if i can explain this clearly or not. sometimes the truck runs great and strong but then there are times where i just barely push the gas peddle and it studders like crazy! even times where it will just keep studering for 30 seconds before it finally starts going again. also dies randomly sometimes. i have changed all the basic items(spark plugs, filters, etc), i have also changed may of the sensors, the pcm, and the ignition module, also had a spare coil pack so i changed that as well. nothing seems to be working?? many times i will push the peddle and the engine will get up to 1800 rpm driving fine than just drop down to like an idle speed and then pick back up again. also i dont know if this is realated or not, but while driving down the freeway in OD the truck will sometimes start jerking real bad, is that the same problem? or is it a transmision problem? oh the truck is a 1990 4X4 4.0L about 150,000 miles.
thanks for any help

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I have an 04 that just started doing this same issue as yours somedays it runs great no problems but yesterday my truck is missing and has a choppy idol like yours, anyone have any thoughts? I did a fuel filter plugs wires and cleaned my kn airfilter.hmm

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I have an 04 that just started doing this same issue as yours somedays it runs great no problems but yesterday my truck is missing and has a choppy idol like yours, anyone have any thoughts? I did a fuel filter plugs wires and cleaned my kn airfilter.hmm
clean- Throttle body, IACV and MAF

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im chassing this same problem in my B2 4.0 swap.... and mine seems to doit worse on hills like a fuel pump problem, like its harder to pump the fuel up, but its not

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Mine was a bad electrode on my plug, put a new one in ran fine...also if your trucks sluggish goin uphill fuel rail issues are pretty common on these I had mechanics say

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have got new plugs and wires, and i changed out the coil pack off of a good runner as well and still no luck, thought maybe it could be the fuel boiling, but i took it out again today to hopefully track the problem down, started doing it so i popped the hood felt all around the fuel lines and they are fine... once again it runs fine for a while, once it gets up to temp starts to run bad and cant go to full throttle or just falls on its face... if i shut it off for 10 min it will be fine again for a bit????????????

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals