• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

S-s-s-s-s-s-shaking like c-c-c-c-c-c-crazy!

JTH1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that my truck has started to really shake once I get the truck over 80km/h, and it starts to do it really bad almost exactly at 80. I've taken it up to 110 to see how far it goes and it still does it at that speed. I thought it might be the tranny but it doesn't matter if it's in D or OD, it still does it over 80.

Thoght where else to look? I don't have a lot of time to screw with it, so any help in narrowing down the problem would be appreciated.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that my truck has started to really shake once I get the truck over 80km/h, and it starts to do it really bad almost exactly at 80. I've taken it up to 110 to see how far it goes and it still does it at that speed. I thought it might be the tranny but it doesn't matter if it's in D or OD, it still does it over 80.

Thoght where else to look? I don't have a lot of time to screw with it, so any help in narrowing down the problem would be appreciated.
Wheels and tires... do you mud alot or drive dirt roads? cause there could be dirt stuck inside the rims which shakes bad once you get going fast enough... You also could have thrown a wheel weight. Might get the tires rebalanced at a good shop, should fix the problem ask them to shake down the frontend too... also could have thrown the wieght off the driveshaft.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Not to be a doomsayer, but it may be the rear bearings, as was my case. try balance and rotation first of course, but i know it took me a while to figure out it was the bearings, but it solved the problem, though my vibration was around 75mph or so.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
ALL good suggestions BTW
another possibility is the hanger bearing on the drive shaft and or the U-joints.

JTH1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Wheels and tires... do you mud alot or drive dirt roads? cause there could be dirt stuck inside the rims which shakes bad once you get going fast enough... You also could have thrown a wheel weight. Might get the tires rebalanced at a good shop, should fix the problem ask them to shake down the frontend too... also could have thrown the wieght off the driveshaft.
Dirt road on occasion with a washboard on it you could do your laundry on. I gotta switch out the tires soon anyway so i'll start with that and keep my fingers crossed, and i'll keep the other stuff in mind too.

Thanks fellas

JTH1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Is there any way to tell if it is the U-joint?

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lift the back tires off the gound and put the truck in nuetral and grab the drive shaft and shake it down real good and theres that or set the brake and have someone try to go back and forth to see if theres play. but i would try the rotate and balance first sounds like could be the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals