• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sad to report

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
My 1997 ranger 4x4 locked up its engine while I was driving home last week. pronounced Dead. While what exactly broke inside the engine no one can tell but no one can turn the engine over even with a large bar on the crank. :sad:

I have found a 1999 ranger 4x4 with the same engine 3.0 but its not a extended cab and it has a manual transmission.

Mine is the extended cab and its a automatic transmission(also on the way out) leaking front main seal

the question is can the engine and transmission be taken from that 1999 and put in to mine. whats involved and what to look out for?

Last edited:

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to hear that. I was driving our 99 (with 3.0) when I noticed it not running right, looked and saw zero oil pressure, turned the engine off and it wouldn't crank after that. It was locked. So I know how you are feeling.

I don't know if the 99 engine will go in the 97. 97 is a gen 3 and 99 is a gen 4. More info is here. It doesn't mention the engine.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I remember one time someone towed in an older volvo saying it wouldnt start.... the tech tried to start it and it would just click.... charged the battery and cleaned connections... same thing, replaced starter.... still no difference....at that I got involved.... tried to turn it over with a breaker bar.... wouldnt budge, pulled the dipstick..... no oil on stick....pulled the drain plug, nothing came out.....manager called the customer and the car was towed away a few days later by a wrecking yard..lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think that '97 was the last year of the 35psi returning fuel system.
'98 was the start of returnless system with 65psi pressure.

That being said you can just swap your existing intake setup to the '99 block/heads.

If crank can not be turned in either direction then main bear was "spun" and then welded itself in place.
This would either be a failed oil pump or blocked oil passage.

There is a chance the torque converter/trans seized up but that would be a long shot.

Trans should be rebuilt, getting a used 4R44E may put you in the same boat, i.e. "(also on the way out)"

Last edited:

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure about Canada, but down here in the US, 99 & 2000 3.0's only came in Flex Fuel version, different fuel injectors and fuel pump too, I think. Plus being a 99, it'll have those HORRIBLE PVH unless someone swapped thhem out for the better hubs.

Last edited:

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I haven't purchased the other ranger. If I was to do so I wouldn't be rebuilding either my engine or transmission. It would be a swap both engine and transmission from his truck to mine.

Mine made a little clunking noise not much of one and then just stopped running I coasted about 60 feet and stopped. Prior to this the engine ran perfectly regular oil changes only issues I had was old injectors failing.

The transmission started leaking (front main) a week or two prior. I was informed by my mechanic that I could probably get another year out of it with Lucas or it was a rebuild job. The rebuild is worth more then I paid for the truck sooooo Lucas is was. I don't see Lucas causing the transmission to lock up.

In any case anyone know if I need the computer from the other truck if the drive shaft will bolt on things like that?

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I think he was refering to changing the entire driveline over to the manuel trans and everything, witch would require you to find a compatable extend cab drive, shaft hanging the pedel assemblies plus all the master and on and on, it would be a huge job but could be done, worth it ???plus the rear axle is a different ratio on the two, better to rebuild the driveline, that you have

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
not his driveshaft, mine. will the transfer case and drive shaft I already have fit his manual transmission and engine placement? will there be computer issues since I have a auto and his is a manual..

ive looked at his truck its fairly toasty broken leaf springs busted brake lines bad ball joints. the box is totally rusted out would need a total rebuilt on the box. its got half the mileage mine does though. and he says it runs fine. it was plated untill last month. I haven't pinned him down today or I would have test drove it already.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals