• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS 1998 ranger

rpstanhope

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hi guys new to here but want some good info so decided this was the beast place to get it. now im looking to SAS my girls ranger i have a chevy dana 44 and gm 12 bolt laying around and would like to use them but i notice the diff in the front is on the opposite side as the fords. is there anyone who has used a chevy front axle before is it even possible?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hi guys new to here but want some good info so decided this was the beast place to get it. now im looking to SAS my girls ranger i have a chevy dana 44 and gm 12 bolt laying around and would like to use them but i notice the diff in the front is on the opposite side as the fords. is there anyone who has used a chevy front axle before is it even possible?
either u take the time and effore to flip the axle tubes, or u run a 2wd trans with a divorced case

rpstanhope

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
either u take the time and effore to flip the axle tubes, or u run a 2wd trans with a divorced case
how hard is it to flip the axle tubes side to side? have you ever tried this? and i planned on pulling the axles down to just cases anyway but curious if im just better off finding a bronco or f150 front axle?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I would say find a Ford axle, just to make life a little easier.

rpstanhope

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
but i have the dana 44 and gm 12 bolt setting here picked up last year for $150 the gm 12 bolt was just rebuilt and the dana will be rebuilt before i put it in just thinking that swapping the axle tubes wouldnt be that hard i mean disassemble the axle cut the spot weld and remove the tubes...?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Separte the tubes from the pumpkin and the outters from the tubes and then switch the tubes and reweld everything correctly.

Oh ya that is all easier said then done.

Either the Ford D44 or 2wd tranny with a divorced transfer case may be the easiest ways.

You staying full width or going with the original width of the truck?

Or put a Chevy engine and tranny with the passenger side drop transfer case too.

rpstanhope

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so there are no chevy transfer cases that will bolt to a c6 or c4?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals