• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Scoops or not?

Scoops or not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, heres the deal. I have been working on my Ranger Project. I did purchase a set of Hood Scoops that attach using double sided tape. I painted them to match the truck color. I mocked them up last summer while working on the truck and took some pictures. Since the picture with them on I have finished most of the truck. I installed the custom front bumper with the winch and everything. Well a few days ago I went to mock the scoops back up and I was going to attach them, but when I took a good look at it I wasnt so sure they looked good on the truck. Before I thought they were good looking but now I cant make up my mind. I am asking for your guys opinions on this. Here is a pic of the truck when I mocked the scoops up. Then go to www.dskellogg.com/ranger.html and take a look at the truck as it is now towards the bottom and tell me if you think they would look good or not. What would you do if the truck was yours? thanks.

Last edited:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I like the look of them a lot of the time, but usually I'm just like "ugh.." when i see them. Because theyre just a fake substitute for a real hood. But cheap, so it evens out.
They look alright on your ranger though.
If you want em, go for it.
I voted yes.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it u move them closer in together itll look better....spaced out like that lit doesnt work for me

InTheStix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
I'm with mhughes165,try them with about 4in. of spacing between-see what you think-good lookin truck man!-your Dad would be proud.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
fake scoops do nothing for me and 90% of the time they look gawdy. If its only function is to try and make your truck look cooler with no other benefit then its pointless. IF you were to open the scoop and cut the hood so the scoops pull air in to help cool the engine, then atlwast they would have some type of function

strokedranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I personally hate the lund hood scoops. I'm trying to find an older cobra jet hood scoop thats in good condition. (Not the shaker hood scoop) They are kinda hard to find nowadays, but I would recommend going that route. I will see if I can get a picture of my buddy's F350 with that kind of a scoop on here tomorrow for ya. I voted no becuz I dislike the dual lund hood scoops.(everyone has them)

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Take another pic of them closer together, but with your ''bug'' deflector on they don't work.

Gabe8810

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have some on my truck and they look good. And yes they do function. I cut holes and put them on with rivets. But if you want them to function and do any type of mudding, you should get the plastic mesh guard in the front and not the wire mesh. It will keep most mud out and still let air in. ill post some pics in the morning.

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, that looks like a sweet truck, solid and functional, please don't screw it up with some worthless "hood scoops". Looks like the only thing they'll do is increase wind resistance, and decrease fuel mileage... :shok:

Last edited:

drakezilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
they look good...like the others said maybe a lil closer together...if it were me id either have the hood scoop or bug shield...they kinda clash together imo...great lookin truck man

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
he could turn them around to look like cowl induction type, the taller portion near the back of the hod

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
buy an induction hood if you want scoops

hunt-n-fish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.No
Transmission
Automatic
Do what you want dude. I say OK but take off the bug deflector. I don't really much care for them, however, they don't look bad either.

strokedranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
ok so i drove out to my friends house today to take pictures of the hood scoop im talking about. Here they are:

buy an induction hood if you want scoops
Where can you buy an entire hood for a ranger? Ive looked around on the web and cant seem to find anything.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Not a big fan of hood scoops whatsoever, as cheapthrills says, they look gawdy. The don't belong on a truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals