• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seat swap on a 1995 Ranger extended cab, have an issue with seat belt

queen of spades

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I picked up some cheap 2006 Ranger extended cab seats to put in my 1995 Ranger extended cab but noticed an issue with the seat belt. The seat belts are different from 95 to 06 of course, but I don't see how to use my existing seat belt with the new seat.

The 95 seat belt attaches to the floor near the middle, but there is also a little rail that helps the belt move forward and back when the seat position is adjusted. The 06 seat belt receiver mounts directly to the seat.

Pics of the black 06 seat and silver 95 seat. Note the seat belt rail in the top picture:

1) Has anyone else encountered this problem on a seat swap if so what did you do?

2) The 06 seat bolts are about 3mm larger than the 95 bolts. Is there enough material on the frame to drill & tap to the larger bolts?

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
1.) You should be able to remove the seat belt buckle from that track on the 95 (I believe its a T45 or T50 torx) unbolt the buckle from the 06 seats and transfer your 95's over.

2.) Are you referring to the bolts that attach the seat frame to the track or the bolts that attach the seat tracks to the floor pan? If the latter, I'd just re-use the existing hardware.

queen of spades

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1.) You should be able to remove the seat belt buckle from that track on the 95 (I believe its a T45 or T50 torx) unbolt the buckle from the 06 seats and transfer your 95's over.
Ok great, this is relieving to read. Thought I might have wasted a few bucks on seats I couldn't use! They are in very good condition with little foam or cover wear.

I don't know what I'll do to fill the gap between the two seats though. It would be nice to have something there tall enough to use as an elbow/arm rest. Thought about even making something out of wood to put there, unless something like this exists in the aftermarket.

2.) Are you referring to the bolts that attach the seat frame to the track or the bolts that attach the seat tracks to the floor pan? If the latter, I'd just re-use the existing hardware.
Yes, the seat pan bolts. Should I try to find some type of washer, shim or spacer to fill the gap around the smaller '95 seat bolt and the larger 06' seat hole?

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok great, this is relieving to read. Thought I might have wasted a few bucks on seats I couldn't use! They are in very good condition with little foam or cover wear.

I don't know what I'll do to fill the gap between the two seats though. It would be nice to have something there tall enough to use as an elbow/arm rest. Thought about even making something out of wood to put there, unless something like this exists in the aftermarket.

Yes, the seat pan bolts. Should I try to find some type of washer, shim or spacer to fill the gap around the smaller '95 seat bolt and the larger 06' seat hole?
A center console from an XLT of the same vintage or explorer from 95-01 will fill that gap and there are plenty in your local salvage yard. Use the search function above and it should give you a good idea on what to expect.

Washers would work, just nothing too thick that would effect the bolt length too much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals