• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Serpentine belt length

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone happen to know the serpentine belt length for a 92' 2.3 that came with A/C but the compressor has been removed? Parts counter "guru" says it's not the same as a non A/C and I don't know one way or another and I don't really have time at the moment to just take it off to measure myself. Thanks in advance.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
it is the same as the non a/c belt i have one installed on both of my trucks. if you remove the power steering and ac is when you run into a pickle. if you wish to run the stock a/c belt however there are adapter blank idler pulleys that install in place of the a/c compressor, i found one one time on summit, but as the non a/c belt fits just fine its not worth the money. if there is a difference (an inch or two) i can assure you that the belt tensioner will take up the slack. my 93 3.0 truck the a/c quit working, wasnt going to spend the extra money to fix what i dont uses so i pulled the compressor and lines installed the non a/c belt voila another 40k miles i went. my 92 2.3 truck had a/c and the previous owner removed the compressor and left all the lines and such. i changed my serpentine when the idler broke/power steering pump seized. simply changed the pump, new pump pulley, upgraded metal idler pulley (autozoo has all this) and installed a new serpentine for the non a/c truck runs great 9000 miles later. however if and when you go to do the power steering pump pulley with the tool (wouldnt wish that job on anybody but this is for future reference), be sure to hold both wrenches securely and stop a hair short of dead on. i broke the tool off inside the pump (doesnt affect anything just wont be installing a new pulley on that shaft...) going for that list bit for perfect alignment. the other half (hold wrenches securely) is because when the tool broke my wrench popped up and broke the radiator neck that connects the hose to the radiator. so on top of all that i replaced add a radiator to that list. ah the joys of turning a wrench....so tell the jackoff on the other side of the counter that gets paid less than you do and recommends bosch platinum fours (the misfire plugs) to sell you the dam belt and shove the belt dressing up his ass. while your at it ask him for some muffler bearings a left handed hammer and spark plug gaskets and see what he comes up with. (just to mess with him even more tell him spark plug gaskets do exist and they do, the washer thats on the threads of the spark plug! unless of course you get an autolite plug that doesnt have one, it utilizes a 15 degree taper to seal the opening instead...)

Last edited:

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
rofl sounds like you had a heck of a time of it. Yeah I figured it would be the same just didn't feel like having the conversation with the guru to make him prove it when I didn't have facts lol. Thanks for the info. Put a typical parts guy in front of a computer and if it doesn't come up it doesn't exist:icon_rofl: "you gotta throwout bearing?" "Sorry sir that doesn't come up? Is it an automatic?:shok: Sad part is at the moment he does make more than I do:annoyed:(My county put a moritorium on new construction so no building for me) Although there are some awesome parts guys out there so I'm not knocking all of them. Thanks again for the help

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
your right there are quite a few awesome parts guys out there, i enjoy having conversations with the ones that race etc. shared passions go a long way, but there is always the noob that doesnt kno the dif between a windshield wiper and a harmonic balancer that pisses you off. cheers with it and if my experience doing it on not one but 2 trucks isnt enuff to say it worx idk what will convince the moron that it will. unless of course you change it in the parking lot and show him. i take it your a/c compressor seized up or something? seen that happen b4 and lock the engine up in traffic, thats always fun. my water pump bearing seized on the 3.0 and did the same thing that sudden stop from 40 to 0 in 150ft wheels locked up was def not kewl. what was worse was when i recranked it the bearing sounded like i threw 3 rods thought i skrewd the motor. fun times man fun times.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
yeah I'll just tell em' I want a non-A/C belt. Or if I'm feeling mean I'll make fun of him for a bit. Naturally the guys who know nothing are the one's who get mad as hell when you make fun of them for trying to pretend like they do know everything:icon_rofl: No clue about the compressor, it was removed by the previous owner. There's all kinds of weird little stuff like that on my truck. Has aftermarket cruise (doesn't work the cables stretched out) Has some kind of anti-theft thingie with a box with a switch on it beside the battery with a lead that goes to the starter solenoid on the fender and one that goes to some sort of sensor attached next to one of the coil packs and couple wires that disappear into the firewall with the wiring harness. No idea what exactly it is but thats what I would guess lol. Had a bomb diggity for it's day panasonic tape player in it. It has the imprint on the steering wheel from where a speed ball was mounted lol. But at least he capped off the system so if I wanted a/c I could just replace the compressor. But I'll never put the money into that cause I've always been a windows down guy. I've seen those eliminator pulleys before too, although I can't think of a good reason why somebody would spend money on it. Now I just gotta wait for it to not be snowing, wet and nasty outside so I can keep fixing up lil' red:annoyed:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
funny you mention snow, we got 5 inches on the ground that stayed yesterday and today, this is louisiana btw, not normal...then again the saints won the super bowl so i guess its just another sign hell froze over. i kno what you mean by seeing little riggings here and there. this 92 im driving had an alarm deal/no horn. removed that crap and installed a horn, but the wires for the factory switch dont work and it feels like its been removed. so i pull out the cigarette lighter adapter that is half hanging, run a butt connector to a switch on the bottom of the dash and run it to the horn with a chassis ground. the hood pull cable was a pain, so hard i ripped the piece of the dash clean off trying to open the hood, now i just have the cable stuck under the dash. my a/c lines are there but not capped, looks like somebody had fun with bolt cutters. im going to remove the lines and evaporator/accumulator cores and reshape the heater box for more room under the hood. plan on redoing the entire dash one day when the weather warms up (i hav a weeks vacation i need to use might as well make the most of it...) i also have new spring mount bushings, radius arm bushings, sway bar bushings, carrier bearing, 3 ujoints and torsion bars i am going to install as well. shes been a slow project including new doors/mirrors, vacuum gage, new front pads/rotors/bearings, rebuilt 7.5 3.73 rear end, new rear drums/shoes/hardware/axle seals. all started when i bought it with a busted a tranny, stuck in 4th busted 2nd and 3rd with stripped synchros, jy 97 b2300 trans went in. add that to the radiator power steering pump/pulley/hose, idler pulley, serpentine belt, timing belt, plugs/wires/coil packs, throttle cable mod and air filter relocation id say ive been busy. picked it up for 400 bux, was walking when the 93 acted stupid on me and fig hell if i can rebuild it for 8k and 5 or 6 yrs out of her what the hell. heres some pics of what im working with.

ps i also did the floorboard mod, redid shiftrail plugs with pipe plugs and new shifter bushings, was either pull the tranny again or cut a hole. i plan on building a diamond plate cover that can be removed as well for future access, just low on funds atm.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
yeah dude it's snowing here now. Which isn't unusual for western NC but it's snowed every few days since before christmas which hasn't happened since I was a kid:icon_confused: Yeah I watched the game I'm a Buc fan(since a little fella so bash away) but I was stoked they won I love underdog teams! I so wish my truck was an extended cab! I like it. Did you leave the filter housing to to keep those vacuum tubes and the IAT hooked up? I was thinking of making an adapter for mine and plumbing the vacuum lines into the stock intake behind the maf and leaving enough space on the adapter to mount the IAT beside the air filter. Might work but idk. I know how you feel about the hood release i had to cut mine off under the hood and has washer hooked to it and it hangs behind the grille so if somebody wants to look under the hood they can. Bolt cutters???? Ouch. Yeah I'll be removing AC gear when it warms up too. I gotta replace my trans plugs too but got a buddy with a shop so it's a case of beer and I gotta lift to use! Sounds like it's really coming along for you, good luck with it. You should put up a build thread to show what you can turn a $400 beater into! I bought mine for the same reason. I figured even if I had to spend a grand a year on it I'll drive it for the next 20 years before I've paid for the exact same truck new and I'll be able to add to this one to make it what I want it to be!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals