• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

serpentine belt wont go on

SCMoore

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I need some help. What should have been a 10 min job turned into a few hours and still no luck. I have a 1993 XLT with 4.0 and AC. I got two different serpentine belts from AutoZone but I can't get either of them on. They seem to be about an inch too short. I can't get the edge close enough to a pully to try the zip tip around the pully method. My pulleys don't have any holes to run the zip tie through. I changed the belt on my Mustang 4.0 no issues. Is there a trick these or is it just that the belts I bought are too short? They measure 87 inches. Ford apparently has purged their parts list from their website for my year so I don't have anything to cross reference. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm begging for suggestions as I'm dead in the water now.

Steve

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
There is no tensioning bolts to loosen at the power steering or alternator? I dont think back than had the spring loaded idlers, did they?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You should have a tensioner on there that accepts a half inch drive ratchet or breaker bar to pull it back to put it on then releasing it tensions the belt

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your introduction says an 88 and your post says a 93, has someone swapped motors on it ?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 1993 4.0l for sure has a tensioner, its below the alternator
+1 above, put a socket wrench in it to push it back and install the belt

Route the belt on the drivers side pulleys first, so just the alternator is left
Then do the tensioner and put belt on alternator pulley

Fan belt diagram for 4.0l with AC seen here: https://www.2carpros.com/img/diagrams/drivebelt/50J00611.gif

Serpentine belts have a Ribbed side and a Smooth side, and there can be more than one way to route the belt but only 1 RIGHT way, lol
The pulleys will either be Ribbed or smooth
If you are putting the smooth side of the belt on a Ribbed pulley then routing is wrong, and visa versa

You can also tell which way each pulley turns
Crank pulley is Ribbed, so any ribbed pulley will turn in the same direction as crank, clockwise on 99% of engines
Smooth pulley will turn in the opposite direction

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Ribbed side and a Smooth side, and there can be more than one way to route the belt but only 1 RIGHT way, lol
I remember those ads in the magazines I used to look at as a kid, the "Ribbed For Her Pleasure" ads. I would have to think that a happy motor is a good thing.

SCMoore

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I need some help. What should have been a 10 min job turned into a few hours and still no luck. I have a 1993 XLT with 4.0 and AC. I got two different serpentine belts from AutoZone but I can't get either of them on. They seem to be about an inch too short. I can't get the edge close enough to a pully to try the zip tip around the pully method. My pulleys don't have any holes to run the zip tie through. I changed the belt on my Mustang 4.0 no issues. Is there a trick these or is it just that the belts I bought are too short? They measure 87 inches. Ford apparently has purged their parts list from their website for my year so I don't have anything to cross reference. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm begging for suggestions as I'm dead in the water now.

it turns out the previous owner replaced the a/c compressor at some point and the pulley must be larger than a stock one. So I had to use a larger belt then standard part it calls for.
belt went on in 5 minutes once I had one that fit.

SCMoore

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your introduction says an 88 and your post says a 93, has someone swapped motors on it ?
Nah. I just sold the 88 and didn’t update my profile.

SCMoore

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 1993 4.0l for sure has a tensioner, its below the alternator
+1 above, put a socket wrench in it to push it back and install the belt

Route the belt on the drivers side pulleys first, so just the alternator is left
Then do the tensioner and put belt on alternator pulley

Fan belt diagram for 4.0l with AC seen here: https://www.2carpros.com/img/diagrams/drivebelt/50J00611.gif

Serpentine belts have a Ribbed side and a Smooth side, and there can be more than one way to route the belt but only 1 RIGHT way, lol
The pulleys will either be Ribbed or smooth
If you are putting the smooth side of the belt on a Ribbed pulley then routing is wrong, and visa versa

You can also tell which way each pulley turns
Crank pulley is Ribbed, so any ribbed pulley will turn in the same direction as crank, clockwise on 99% of engines
Smooth pulley will turn in the opposite direction

SCMoore

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. I had to get a larger belt. The previous owner replaced the a/c compressor and it must have a larger pulley than stock. 88.78” belt went on in minutes.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I had the opposite problem when I put the 130 watt alternator on. Pulley was just enough smaller to keep the belt from getting tight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals