• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shackle Angle

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
After doing a bit of searching, I am unsure of what the right answer is for an ideal shackle angle. I have read 45-60 degress, is best, but have also seen people setting them to all kinds of different angles. I am doing a solid axle swap right now, with the truck at ride height the shackle is a 22 degree angle. At full droop it doesn't go anywhere near past vertical. Sound about right ?
If I am correct, I don't want the shackle to go past vertical at full droop, or I am in trouble.
I have mock up mounts right now, so if the shackles are not okay as is, I can make the rear mounts to compensate for it.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
you can see my shackle angles in this pic.

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
you got weight on those jackstands?
you need to get all the weight on the springs to see for sure.
if that's with all the weight on, I'd move your hanger back some.
I like 45 degrees or something close.

here's mine on the rear

and the front

hard to tell from that pic but I had a little more angle than yours, I have adjustable holes in mine , but if I move the shackle to the back hole, I had a little too much angle.

Those pics were post SAS over a year ago, I went out and checked just now and I have maybe a 40 deg angle now.
Yours will settle a bit, es-ecially if you've just done the SAS.
if everythings already welded up, I'd say drive it around awhile and I bet your springs will sag and give you a better angle, if its not enough, then go back and redo your mounts/crossmember.

Its not that big of a deal since your springs are sorta flat, like mine, but if you had super flexy, arched springs with that angle, your shackle could go negative and get stuck in the backward position - and that sucks.
plus a better angle allows the springs to work better.

good luck

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for both your help. The pictures help alot.
That is with the weight on the springs, I left the jacks under just in case the worst happens. Looks like I will be repositioning/designing my rear mounts. Id rather get it right the first time. I am using Explorer leafs, with one main leaf with the eyes cut off from another pack mixed in under the main leaf. I have the shackles in the front. 5.5 inch shackles.
Just a thought, do you think I should set it to around say 40 degrees, or a bit less to allow for any sagging/settling of the springs ?

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
you are measuring wong. You want an angle finder and make the shackle roughly 90* to the spring. Then it will sag little. but with used springs you may want to put a little more angle on it.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you are measuring wong. You want an angle finder and make the shackle roughly 90* to the spring. Then it will sag little. but with used springs you may want to put a little more angle on it.
This.

You have to measure the shackle angle relative to the spring.

kozak

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 351M, 302
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, so what your saying is, that in the picture below I want my shackle and spring to form the angle of the angle finder displayed ?
Since I am using used springs, should I make the angle a few degrees over 90 ?
(by the way, the rear mounts are un-bolted, thats why the shackle angle is like that in this pic)

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, so what your saying is, that in the picture below I want my shackle and spring to form the angle of the angle finder displayed ?
Since I am using used springs, should I make the angle a few degrees over 90 ?
(by the way, the rear mounts are un-bolted, thats why the shackle angle is like that in this pic)
exactly.

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, but if he goes 90* to the spring, He'd have his shackle almost straight up and down.

kozak - it looks like you have better angle in those last pics, maybe it settled some, I'd say leave it where it is

blue88b2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 ranger
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
that's good! If your springs are relatively flat and that's with weight on that's really good! if they have arch to them ( like mine do) at compression when fully flexed there is a chance the can cam over forwards ( like mine did before i changed the angle). Just a heads up. because that's how i did mine at first then had to redo after some testing.

-jason

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals