• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SJ coils and sag

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Put in some brand new sj softride 4" coils and the rear sits about 1" high for my liking. The rear has 2" blocks and aals that were in it when I got it. Will the sj springs settle down any? They sit about 2" higher then the lowered buckets and spacers(4" of total lift), and my camber is a little positive after alignment. It has 2.5" tuff country pivot drops and 3.25 degree adjustable camber bushings. Dumb question: does a lower rear end take weight off the front affecting camber? If the coils sag about 1/2" my camber will be in spec. And I'd hate to lift the rear more if the coils sag some. Anyone know if they will settle over time?

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Im confused? You put new coils in the front, now the rear is too high, or you mean you put in new leafs? If they are brand new, they will probably settle.

Last edited:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
No I got new coils and the rear is low. Wondering if a low rear takes weight off the front. The sj coils are about 5.5" of lift(and I lowered my buckets back to stock). I can't get the camber right and I'm wondering if they will settle so it can be alligned with my setup. About 1/2" to 3/4" lower and it will allign and ill be happy. Also if its gonna settle some I don't want to lift the rear anymore just to have it too high if the coils sag

Btw with the sj nitro shocks all around and the softride coils it rides awesome

And I'm gonna wash her tomorrow and repaint my wheels. Also gonna drill my center caps so I can put the front ones on, and I'm gonna take some pics

Last edited:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
They will settle, but probably not more than a 1/4" of an inch.

Yes changing the rear height can affect the front's ride height, I have experienced this with my truck, but it is very minimal. Just like loading down the back with a bunch of weight will sag out the back, and take some weight off the front, causing the steering to be vague, and the reverse is true.

If I were you I'd drive around for a while, even with a little positive camber, to settle the coils in (they will have an initial break in period where they sag a very small amount...then they won't change for many thousands of miles).

Then I'd experiment with a smaller sized block in the rear, or take the AAL out.

OR

Do you have Beltech shackles? You could ditch the 2" block and try a set of Beltechs out back (they are good for 1.5" of lift).

All said and done, after you put some miles on the coils (I have noticed about one oil change interval or 3000 miles will break in a set of Skyjacker coils) and the coils are broke in and have settled into their new home, go back for an alignment and it will probably be just about perfect. Remember 1/4" of sag is different out at the wheel due to the TTB having a 1:1.5 leverage effect.

Those are my thoughts.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Well actually the back needs to come up an inch, guess ill get a 3" tapered block. The 2" isn't tapered so my pinion is a little off

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Wow must have been late when I responded.

Yeah so try a different sized block, or I'd probably try a set of Beltechs in addition to the AAL, and 2" block (But probably not the best thing to do since you have an uber short driveline and pinion angle becomes that much more important).

The tapered 3" will make your pinion much happier.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've never experienced any settling with any of the various Skyjacker coils I've used... They seem very well-made.

Getting 5.5" of lift, I suspect you might've gotten 6" coils, not the 4s. Did you happen to measure their free length before you installed them?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't measure the free length of them, although I did compare them to stock and they looked right. The coils are part number 134, so they are the right ones. I just got back from summit getting some tapered 3" blocks. Not really worried about the dshaft length, I have a explorer front shaft with plenty of slip left

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Let us know how that turns out. Do you still have the stock bronco2 leafs in the back, other than the add-a-leaf?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
Well went to summit today and got some 3" tapered blocks. No more driveline vibes, she sits perfect and the camber is adjusted

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals