• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sloppy shifter

Snafu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
ok so i have a 5 spd manual and when i have it in gear the whole shifter handle moves like it would in neutral also when in neutral it goes way over to the passenger side before hitting the wall, if i remember i'll try to get a video and post it. it doesnt fall out of gear nor cause any issues but it gets annoying when i take a turn and need to shift but the shifter is out of reach >.< i heard if i lift the boot up there is a few screws that could be tightened to help this, anyone have an idea if this is correct?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your problem is not the screws, it's an o-ring, or bushing or something in the transmission, if i remember correctly...

what's the mileage?

i'll see if i can find the tech article for you, i remmeber people saying it's a very simple fix, takes a few hours, follow the instructions and your mom could do it for you

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
shifter bushings. you need to remove the shifter and replace them.

you'll have to drive out 2 pins from the transmission and not drop them into the hole

Sultan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just did this and the worst part was buying the parts at the dealership. Once I had them I was easy but it took a bit to get the pins to go back. Now that mine has bushing it shifts like new and for me it really changed how the truck feels to drive.

And it took less than an hour to do.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you happen to have the m5od get the bushing from allstategear.com. Quick and cheaper that dealership.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
or with the M5OD you can always upgrade to a hurst shifter. the local stealership was giving me the runaround about the bushings and wanted to sell me the whole top cover assy with the shifter forks. for $200 (at the time) i got a shifter that has no plastic bushings to wear out. this design was just planned to fail, and with such a failure-proned design, there should be bushing kits right there at the parts counter, as soon as you say "ranger manaul transmission M5OD shifter bushings" the counter guy should be tossing you a small pkg and say "$10.95" not giving you a bunch of crap about a engineering # off the side of the trans. my trans was a rebuilt unit, no stickers and painted flat black. i can understand not stocking alot of things, but with millions of manual trans r.b.v.'s out there all with nylon bushings that will get sloppy, its just stupid that they arent ready for the requests for shfter bushings. the hurst aint cheap, but it well worth it. had mine for about 5 years.

Snafu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
ok sorry about not replying you guys have some great info but the problem was a bolt under the dust cover that needed to be tightened, it was finger loose and as i tightened it it wiggled less it turns out it wasnt a bushing or anything, when you undo the 4 screws and pull up the boot you see this big nut that is at the base of the shifter handle looks kinda like something you would see at the base of a bicycle seat to tighten the bar down, but in a bigger form. if i had been working on my own i would have taken a few pictures but my step-dad was there and i didnt really want to listen to him ask why i was taking pictured of my shifter boot... thanks anyways though

Memphis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just ordered this form allstategear. I can't wait to get the slop out of the shifter and rework the shift rail plugs, too! My question is: There is only two sockets and a cover washer. I thought there were a few more washers involved, but the guy said this is now all I need. True?

lethal-threat-b288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
your problem is not the screws, it's an o-ring, or bushing or something in the transmission, if i remember correctly...

what's the mileage?

i'll see if i can find the tech article for you, i remmeber people saying it's a very simple fix, takes a few hours, follow the instructions and your mom could do it for you
mine does this too and i have fixed it..... it IS the 2 pins called alignment pins that keep the shifter from turning, i jb welded it and that dont work so now i gotta go to the jy and get a new top plate so..

Memphis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've looked at the video on Youtube, but still not too sure about how to put this together. Do I still need to use some of the old washers from mine?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I just did this and the worst part was buying the parts at the dealership. Once I had them I was easy but it took a bit to get the pins to go back. Now that mine has bushing it shifts like new and for me it really changed how the truck feels to drive.

And it took less than an hour to do.
Contact rboyer here in the forums he has them on hand for immediate shipment.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals