• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Some stupid 99 ranger/85 toy steering gear questions...

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Alright, since I am acquiring a new daily driver, I am now a lil less concerned about my rangers future drive ability comforts...

Okay so I have a toyota ifs steering gear that I'll be using and I have power steering on my ranger. The toy gear is set up for power assist, but can I run it non-power assist? Just not hook up the power steering lines?

Or would I need a manual steering gear?

Follow up: If I was able to run it non-power assist, it would burn up my ps pump to have it on the serpentine belt with no fluid in it, or would it act as an idler?

So following that follow up: Does anyone know the part number or am I even able to order a serpentine belt for a non-powersteering 3.0?

Alright... done with the stupid questions. Thanks guys.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
You must have oil in the gearbox in both rigs. With oil in the steering gearbox, you can run the gearbox without the pump. The issue is how strong are you? there are different gearing ratios between no PS and PS systems. It will be exceptionally difficult to turn the steering without power assist in a PS gearbox, due to the steering ratios.

On the pump side, you must have cooled oil in a spinning PS pump. This means you need to pump to a cooler, then back to the reservoir. Lubrication and cooling are both needed or you will burn up and seize the pump. A seized PS pump could throw the belt, leaving you stranded.

I would fix the PS properly or change the gearbox out.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Alright I had the feeling that was the truth...

I'm a lil guy and I would definitely need the power assist on the trail (totally forgot about the gear reduction non ps gears have)... I'll just work on getting the adapters and new fittings for my ranger lines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals