• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Something wrong with my truck? Stalled, wouldn't restart till later...

joecool85

Reaction score
This morning I started my truck, it was 15F outside. I let it run for 10-20 seconds, then took off to go to work. I drove down my 1/8 mile dirt road and when I went to get onto the main road I stalled it. Or I thought I did, the engine went dead anyway and I'm not sure if it was me or the truck that caused it. It wouldn't restart though. My battery is going bad, but it turned over great for 5-6 seconds and wouldn't restart. After that it was turning over real slow.

3 days ago I got a new (chipped) key from Ford and that's the key I was using. I was concerned maybe that was the issue since it seemed the ignition just stopped. I had my wife grab the old key and drive up so I could jump the truck. I hooked up and the truck started with the new key immediately (same key the truck had died on, I didn't try the old one since it worked on the new one).

So now I'm at a loss. My wife had me drive her car into work since she was worried I would get stranded. Do you guys think it's the key? Something else? Just a bad battery and I stalled it and it wouldn't restart due to lack of voltage (even though it turned over for a solid 5-6 seconds which is PLENTY long to start it normally even in the coldest of weather)?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Strange things happen when its really cold, just a bit of water in the fuel can cause what you describe. The fact that your battery is on its way is not helping either. As for the key being the problem I doubt it, but I assume you replaced the key as it was getting hard to turn, which could also mean the key switch is worn as well, so that might be an issue to consider later on if it happens again. If it was me I would drop a bottle of Heet, (gas line antifreeze) in it, & at the very least fully charge the battery & go from there. You do know that a weak battery will also kill your alternator from trying to overcharge & compensate for the battery.

JP02XLT

joecool85

Reaction score
Strange things happen when its really cold, just a bit of water in the fuel can cause what you describe. The fact that your battery is on its way is not helping either. As for the key being the problem I doubt it, but I assume you replaced the key as it was getting hard to turn, which could also mean the key switch is worn as well, so that might be an issue to consider later on if it happens again. If it was me I would drop a bottle of Heet, (gas line antifreeze) in it, & at the very least fully charge the battery & go from there. You do know that a weak battery will also kill your alternator from trying to overcharge & compensate for the battery.

JP02XLT
I got a new key because when I bought the truck it only came with one and that made me nervous. 2 years later I bothered to get another lol. I have the new one because it's my daily driver, I gave the old one to my wife to put on her key ring.

It's not that cold, 15F is nothing. This truck has been good for me down to -20F with the exception of one time a month ago when it wouldn't start and it was -18F. Battery just couldn't do it.

Do you really still need to add dry gas even if you have 10% ethanol like we do here in Maine?

As for the battery, I'm getting a new one after work. I'll put it on the charger overnight (they never come 100% charged) and install it in the morning before work. My alternator gave out a year ago and I put a junkyard one in and it's been fine since.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
1. This could be a fuel pump heading south (2 NY winters (Albany) with cold starting issues (under 20*F), and then issues with warm engine starting after short shut offs (under 20*F / less than 20 minutes off), finally truck would not start when warm at gas pump. Yes I was checking for fuel at the rail, and except for the last one it had fuel.
2. Ethonal blended gas will keep the water from freezing to ice, however it WILL SLUSH / sludge and can choke up the fuel system.
3. You started it drove a very short distance and then came to a stop and it stalled. I would check the alternator output as well. A bad battery or dieing one puts additional strain on the alternator. Most Likely you were running in defrost mode and high speed fan with radio and lights on. At the stop a weak / dead battery (after just draining it dead by starting) and a weak alternator, you did not have the elctrical juice to keep the engine running (direct injnition systems can not be push started with a flat dead battery and require some amount of electrical juice to fire).

joecool85

Reaction score
1. This could be a fuel pump heading south (2 NY winters (Albany) with cold starting issues (under 20*F), and then issues with warm engine starting after short shut offs (under 20*F / less than 20 minutes off), finally truck would not start when warm at gas pump. Yes I was checking for fuel at the rail, and except for the last one it had fuel.
2. Ethonal blended gas will keep the water from freezing to ice, however it WILL SLUSH / sludge and can choke up the fuel system.
3. You started it drove a very short distance and then came to a stop and it stalled. I would check the alternator output as well. A bad battery or dieing one puts additional strain on the alternator. Most Likely you were running in defrost mode and high speed fan with radio and lights on. At the stop a weak / dead battery (after just draining it dead by starting) and a weak alternator, you did not have the elctrical juice to keep the engine running (direct injnition systems can not be push started with a flat dead battery and require some amount of electrical juice to fire).
I hope it's not a fuel pump, that would suck. I'll be adding a can of seafoam when I get home which will stabilize the fuel as well as deal with any moisture issues that may be present. I'm hoping between that and the new battery I should be good to go.

Also, I didn't have my lights on, the fan was on low (engine was cold anyway, why blow cold air around?) and the radio was on but it's just the stock radio, nothing pulling a lot of amps.

joecool85

Reaction score
Put a can of seafoam in the tank and replaced the battery. All seems well this morning, here's hoping we're good to go :headbang:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you havent done so yet check the charging system for giggles. Put the battery on a slow charge overnite and then do the load and no load tests. If it dont pass either you gonna want to figure out why so you dont ruin the new battery or alternator/regulator.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/chargingsystem.htm

joecool85

Reaction score
If you havent done so yet check the charging system for giggles. Put the battery on a slow charge overnite and then do the load and no load tests. If it dont pass either you gonna want to figure out why so you dont ruin the new battery or alternator/regulator.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/chargingsystem.htm
Not too worried about the charging system. It was putting out 14.1v while running on the old battery. Since the old battery was 11 years old, I didn't worry about why it died. If the new one has any issues I will check my charging system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals