• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

South Dakota Registration

slownis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The truck I bought last week (in Texas) is registered in SD, with SD plates. The guy I bought it from is a friend of my wife, who is regarded as a legal expert, although he doesn't have a law degree or anything like that. He said he keeps his cars registered in SD, because he did the research a while back, and that SD is the only state that allows registration of vehicles that are out-of-state. Since Texas law doesn't specifically state that the vehicle must be registered in the State of Texas, he has kept it that way because its cheaper, and there is no inspection.

Any thoughts on this? I'm thinking about just keeping it that way, as its not going to be a daily driven vehicle anyways. We've also tossed around the idea of transferring our other cars to SD as well.....

The previous owner said that police will hassle him over it, and say they could write him a ticket for it, but he always argues that there is no law to back it up, and they just go back and forth that way until the Cop ends it by saying, "Well, you need to get it changed" and sends him on his way with no ticket.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
idk about that... i know that you can get a trailer plate from maine and be non-resident... you dont have to renew them for i think 10 years? cops try to give you a hard time, but its completely legal.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I am not sure what the answer to your question would be, but I would call the courthouse of the county the truck is registered in and talk to someone in the treasurer's office. You can figure out what county by the first one or two numbers on the plate...for example, 49A 111, where 49 is Meade county, or 2AB 111, where 2 is Pennington county.

A list of all is available here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_South_Dakota

LiLRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Had a quick chat with one of SD's finest. He says you're smoking crack if you think that will fly.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have no clue as to what the answer would be, but I don't see any reason why you would NOT register it in the state you live in.

I think you are just asking to get a ticket for something ELSE if a cop pulls you over for it. If they don't like something (out of state registration), they can and will find something else to get you for.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
My former boss bought and registered his Walton dump trailer and his wife's scooter in Montana since he was there on vacation and Montana has the option of permanent registration. He's had no issued so far.

aogden001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm a firm believer in "Don't give them a reason" But whatever, it's your truck.

slownis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the question is...
what do the laws in the state you reside in have to say about it? That would determine the outcome if you get a ticket on it.

I'm thinking your in Texas? Then according to this...
http://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdotrts/AddressChangeServlet

So I'd say your buddy is mistaken.
Thank you for this, I'll show it to my buddy. What he'll come back is to say that what I have provided him with is not an actual law or statute, just something printed on the 'change of address' procedures, so unless I can find the actual Texas law or statute that this is referring to it's not really a law. He said he'd done the research, but that doesn't mean he's perfect. I'm also the 'don't give them a reason' type, but there are financial reasons not to register it in Texas, which was the only reason I was interested in it. The registration is cheaper in SD, and there is no required inspection as well.

slownis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for this, I'll show it to my buddy. What he'll come back is to say that what I have provided him with is not an actual law or statute, just something printed on the 'change of address' procedures, so unless I can find the actual Texas law or statute that this is referring to it's not really a law. He said he'd done the research, but that doesn't mean he's perfect. I'm also the 'don't give them a reason' type, but there are financial reasons not to register it in Texas, which was the only reason I was interested in it. The registration is cheaper in SD, and there is no required inspection as well.
This got me looking, and I found the actual law. The guy was smokin something I guess.

§ 502.002. REGISTRATION REQUIRED; GENERAL RULE.
(a) The owner of a motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer shall
apply for the registration of the vehicle for:
(1) each registration year in which the vehicle is
used or to be used on a public highway; and
(2) if the vehicle is unregistered for a registration
year that has begun and that applies to the vehicle and if the
vehicle is used or to be used on a public highway, the remaining
portion of that registration year.
(b) The application must be made to the department through
the county assessor-collector of the county in which the owner
resides.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
idk about that... i know that you can get a trailer plate from maine and be non-resident... you dont have to renew them for i think 10 years? cops try to give you a hard time, but its completely legal.
In NY, unless the tow vehicle has Maine plates, they will ticket you. 4 guys in my local antique farm equipment club were ticketed. I call it BS, but they were fined. Hey, it's NY, the dumbasses in Albany have to get $$ any way they can.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you get pulled over tell 'em your son or daughter had it in SD in college, just brought it down and is visiting, gonna go right back. It'll fly at least once...

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
he is not military right, in the military i have my trucks registered in Oklahoma and live in Wyoming, no front plate:headbang:

most shit my family got was when my dad was running hotshots(1-tons dually with 3 car hualer) being alaskan residents and a commercial vehicle registered in alaska the scale master where always giving him a hard time or didn"t know what to do about it

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
My boss just told the cops the trailer was out in Seattle for service if he ever got pulled over, which I think was never. I doubt it would need repair, the thing is a freakin tank.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals