• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spark plug gap

rangersteve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So I bought some platinum plugs for my truck and I was going to buy a gapping tool, but the guy at the parts store, Lordco, said you don't need to gap these plugs, they are already set to spec. It this true?

According to my Haynes manual they should be gapped to 0.044 in

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
what kind did you get? bosch platinums dont have to be gapped, i dont know the science behind it, i just read it somewhere or saw it in a store. they have 2 (or more) grounding straps on them and i think that creates a longer spark....but like i said, not sure about the engineering behind it

snoman6115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
or e3's or ngk iridiums. any with more that one prong needs no gaping to waste ur money. your better off gettin autolite platinum or double platinum. midgrade plugs and they work great. buddy got e3's and had a difference, his wallet was empty

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
sure, platinums are supposed to be pre-gapped. but 75% of them are WAY off.

you are supposed to check and gap them before installing, but never afterwards because the platinum can be knocked off after being run in the engine.

any spark plug with more than one electrode will only cause problems. the objective of spark plug gap is NOT to provide the shortest, easiest spark. its the provide resistance so the ignition coil will build up high and cause a nice hot spark.

so a large spark plug gap will produce the smoothest idle, but might cut out and miss under load AND it will overheat and damage the coil. a small gap would produce misfires at idle, the same thing those expensive multi-electrode are doing.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well...maybe

sure, platinums are supposed to be pre-gapped. but 75% of them are WAY off.

you are supposed to check and gap them before installing, but never afterwards because the platinum can be knocked off after being run in the engine.

any spark plug with more than one electrode will only cause problems. the objective of spark plug gap is NOT to provide the shortest, easiest spark. its the provide resistance so the ignition coil will build up high and cause a nice hot spark.

so a large spark plug gap will produce the smoothest idle, but might cut out and miss under load AND it will overheat and damage the coil. a small gap would produce misfires at idle, the same thing those expensive multi-electrode are doing.
The purpose of the spark plug is to ignite the fire in the combustion chamber.. Carbed engines must use a richer mixture which is easier to light, so carbed engines typically have a gap of .032. When our engines went to injection the mixture typically became much leaner and harder to light. It was found that the gap had to be .044 or even wider in many cases in order to have enough fuel in the gap to start the fire.
So using the recommended gap for each engine is a good plan to follow. ONE spark is all we get! No matter how many electrodes are on that plug only ONE of them sparks. ALL the rest of the electrodes just get in the way and many times impede the fuel from getting under the electrode that does spark, causing a miss.
As the gap was widened the coils had to get stronger. The stock coil and plug will fire your engine up to and over the advised rpm limit for your engine.. NO other plug or coil will run your engine better than the stock ones until the engine is used at many more rpm than the engine was designed for.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The purpose of the spark plug is to ignite the fire in the combustion chamber.. Carbed engines must use a richer mixture which is easier to light, so carbed engines typically have a gap of .032. When our engines went to injection the mixture typically became much leaner and harder to light. It was found that the gap had to be .044 or even wider in many cases in order to have enough fuel in the gap to start the fire.
So using the recommended gap for each engine is a good plan to follow. ONE spark is all we get! No matter how many electrodes are on that plug only ONE of them sparks. ALL the rest of the electrodes just get in the way and many times impede the fuel from getting under the electrode that does spark, causing a miss.
As the gap was widened the coils had to get stronger. The stock coil and plug will fire your engine up to and over the advised rpm limit for your engine.. NO other plug or coil will run your engine better than the stock ones until the engine is used at many more rpm than the engine was designed for.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:
sooo... i guess you agree? or just adding to what i said?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

rangersteve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the advice. Looking under the hood, there was a sticker that said the correct gaping was .052-0.056. I ended up buying a gap tool and after checking all of them the gap fell within specs. All were about .055.

They were NGK G-Power plugs.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NGK-3403/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals