• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spring options?

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm trying to do a 2" suspension lift. I was just wondering if there are "taller" leaf packs out there from another truck that would fit my explorer and lift it the required 2 or so inches that I'm looking for?

I was going to go with shackles, but they'll have to be extended about 5-6 inches just to get the 2" higher ride height out of the back. :annoyed:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
add-a-leaf, or getting your current springs re-arched...
Springs from a chevy 1500 are the right width, but are longer and involve moving a hanger, not sure if thats a feasible task on an Explorer or not...

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I installed the pro-comp add-a-leaf over the winter and it brought the back end up to where it's supposed to be(fixed the sag that explorer's are known for)

And no, the hangers are build in to the middle of the frame on explorers. The shackles are already pretty close to the bumper too.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get a rail road tie, a sledgehammer, and re-arch them yourself?

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
Replace the rear springs. LMCtruck has them for $200/pair. Other places might have better price. I think this is the route I'm going to get a little more lift out of the rear end of my Explorer. New springs, along with my extended shackes should yield me about 2" lift over stock. My extended shackles also brought my rear up to about stock.

Then, if you still need more lift than is provided with the new springs and your add a leaf kit you can still add the extended shackles.

Or, you can put the new springs on plus extended shackles to net 2" lift over stock and have better ride quality and flex than with the add-a-leaf since they generally stiffen up your suspension.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You could remove the add-a-leaf and swap the spring to ontop of the axle... That nets like 5" from stock, depending how you do your new spring pads...
So if you've lost 2" from sag, that would be like 3" of lift?

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Good news! I found a way to get my lift done cheap! :D

I was on the explorer forum and there's a guy who got it to work with a leaf pack from a '86 f-150. He kept the main leaf from the explorer, but swapped out the rest of the leaf pack with the f-150 leaf pack. He says he got 1 1/2 inches, then used the warrior shackles to get just over his 2" mark. So now I have a new direction to go! :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals