• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stangman92's '94 4x4 build

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been busy recently, going through some family illness and girlfriend issues. But I decided what the hell let's get started. Today I parked the old girl and started tearing into it. Got the old 4.0 all unhooked up, transfer case removed, radiator and all a/c equipment out. I ran into a snag with the fuel lines. There pretty well stuck together. The little spring doesn't want to move on the quick disconnect junctions. I picked at them for a while and I'm soaking them with penatrant. Anyway, here's the old engine. If anyone wants the old engine, transmission or transfer case let me know.

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Spent today ripping out the old engine, trans and exhaust. I think the hardest part was getting the truck low enough, but high enough for the lift. I tried pulling the engine, trans and y-pipe all as one. That was way to difficult, so I hacked up the exhaust. Still too hard, so I unbolted the trans and let gravity it out.:D Engine came out easy then. I did work on those stubborn fuel fittings, ended up tearing a line, so I'll replace the lines with AN stainless hose.

Next step is cutting the fuel lines and converting them to AN. And remove all the old wiring, and installing the new engine connector. Progress will look slow, but important. Lol

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the family illness lead to a family loss, and the girlfriend is gone to. So its been a real bad week. But I did manage to get my mind off things with the wiring. Ford did a great job at keeping a lot of the circuits and wiring colors the same. I've managed to get 99% of the wiring matched up. Now I just need to get them routed nicely, solder each connection, heat shrink the connections, then wrap them all up. The weathers going to be poor here this week, and I'll be out of town for the funeral. So I'll get back on it next weekend. Here's a pic of the birds nest, believe it or not its actually organized. Lol

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
My condolences on the family loss, and the gf. Good work on the progress. Keep at it!

SVT

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate that Rick. The GF and I are working on our relationship, there's hope there.

I did get a major step forward on the wiring. Got all of the connections connected, soldered, heatshrinked, and wrapped. All that's left on the chassis side is the alternator circuit wiring, and wiring in the new DLC which I'm wiring into the cab. Sorry no pics, today.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
If you havent already, try reusing the alternator harness. I noticed on 95-97 rangers that the alternator was long enough and could be reused...

SVT

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for the loss that engine pull looks alot like mine no tires on wood and careful spinning my 5.0 went in alot easyer shortened the chain and no upper intake

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the suggestion Rick, I'll look at it again. That would save me a little time.

Yes Willy, I suspect the 5.0 to drop in quite easily with a shortened chain.

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Almost done with the wiring! Got the birds nest all cleaned up. Just have to make 2 ground connections , add a weathertite connector for the new electric fan switch in the thermostat housing and for the alternator. I'll do those after the engine is in. I found out that I need a few more fittings for the AN fuel lines to work, so I'll order those soon. Next step is the 2 grounds and the fuel lines. Also I finally managed to find a non-a/c blower motor housing thanks to a member on here 'Scrapper'. It should give me more room in the engine bay for servicing. I plan to install it next along with a screen in front of it to filter out debris. Here's a few pics of the nearly finished wiring.

I wish it cleaned up a little nicer, it kinda looks like a big spider. Lol

Hey look! A '94 with OBD2! Its so nice to have this! I think I'm gonna source its power source from the RABS system test port, since I'm not using ABS anymore. Its a constant 12v source, would this be a good place to source OBD power from? Need opinions here.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
That would work, but install a smaller 10 amp fuse if no other circuits share that one...

SVT

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the response Rick. It appears that the high mount brake lights, turn/stop and hazard lights, speed control amplifier, and warning chime module are on the same fuse as the RABS test connector (which is the keep alive memory power). It is also a constant 12v source. So I believe I will be fine using the RABS test connector for the DLC 12v power source. I'll keep it at 20 amps too given that there's that much on that fuse.

Thanks again!

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wiring is complete! I got those few grounds connected, and put on a weathertite connector for the alternator wires on the chassis side. I also connected the DLC power to the RABS test connector. All that's left wiring wise is to join the manual trans connections (backup light switch, and passenger side O2) to the Explorer computer harness. My next step is to convert the fuel lines, install the new computer box, and start dropping in the engine and making engine mounts.

I also switched out the HVAC box to non-a/c. Here's is the before;

Here's it is removed;

Here I siliconed aluminum screen to the blower motor housing. The old box was full of leaves, it was a fire waiting to happen.

And here's the new box installed, notice all that extra room!

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What motor mounts you planning on running? Ive seen some troubles with my sandersons and the stock explorer plates

Stangman92

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Jake,

I was planning on using the explorer plates spaced away from the block on both sides. Just going off memory, I think the passenger side needed about 1/2" spacer between the plate and engine, and to level the engine the drivers side will need about 1"-1.25"

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have about 4 washers spacing the passenger side right now and 1" on the drivers side and it still needs a little trimming to clear the header.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals