• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering Linkage Rubbing After Etreme Pitman Arm Install

xBLAKEx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I put the skyjacker FA600 pitman arm on my buddy's truck. Then yesterday he went to get it aligned. And they told him before they could replace the adjustable camber/caster bushings, he would have to buy all new steering linkage that connects to the pitman arm because it's rubbing. And needs to buy new ones that are bent different.:annoyed: Is it normal for the arms to be rubbing a little? Or are you suppose to get all new arms for passenger and drivers side. I guess the tie rods are what I'm talking about.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
From the little bit of info I've seen on this, it happens most often if you have different brand tierods on each side (different brand tierod & draglink).

Another cause can be if you've pushed the axle forward at all via shimming of the radius arm bushings, this could cause it to rub also (the bigger SJ arm puts the steering attachment point just a hair to the rear).

If the rubbing is only slight, you might be able to gain a bit of clearance by grinding the edge of the pitman arm TRE slightly, otherwise you'll need to find ones that are bent slightly different.

xBLAKEx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Okay i'll let him know. How can you tell between aftermarket and stock links? He still has stock radius arms with the skyjacker drop brackets. Might be a contributor? Would you happen to know of any good and reasonably priced tie rod and drag link? Just to get it right the tie rod in on the drivers side and the drag link is on the passenger side?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Just to get it right the tie rod in on the drivers side and the drag link is on the passenger side?
Correct.

One of the two people I saw dealing with this issue switched over to Moog components. He said it cleared, but just barely. I'm not sure what the clearances with other brands would be.

I.D.'ing the original Ford (OEM) linkage might be tough...
I know OEM has grease boots that press onto the TREs via a metal collar around the base of the boot, though I can't say what (if any) aftermarket ones might also do the same or not. There are no Ford part numbers stamped into it anywhere that I can see.
Ford also wrapped a small paper tag (sticker) around the draglink in the short area between the pitman arm TRE and where the D-side tierod attaches to it, possibly indicating it's OEM, though that paper tag is probably long gone by now. Maybe it's still possible there could be some residue or other evidence of it left behind maybe.

xBLAKEx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Guess I lost track of the thread.. He had all OEM steering linkage components that i could tell. He ended up buying a new drag link from Napa Auto Parts. Once installed, still had rubbing issues. The only thing I could think of, is that he doesn't have 6" Coils.. He has an 89 supercab, with skyjacker brackets and 4" coils [ using the 4" hole ] I used 6" coils with the 4.5" hole on the Super Lift Brackets, no rubbing at all.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
mine rubs, but just minor and was also worse because of how my drivers side radius arm bushing died... I haven't pushed my axle forward although I want to, the radius arm drop brackets aren't enough to get the caster where it needs to be so that's screwing with the angle also.

I'm thinking of tweaking the passenger side drag link bulge angle a bit to be straighter which will force the drivers side link forward and fix the interference...

xBLAKEx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you need to just build some custom radius arms:icon_welder:
The straightening might work. Not sure if it would change any steering characteristics though.
Forgot to mention, my buddy just ground a little on the drag link, no more rubbing.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that's in the works too, but the rubbing would get worse if the axle was further forward like I want, part of what is holding me back, the front suspension will get a bit of a makeover this summer/fall... Longer radius arms, axle forward a little, take some of the washers out of the front to lower it about an inch (passenger side coil fell out in the dunes and didn't hurt anything, so I can be lower and fine :)) and finish the bondo on the roof...

I have all the parts for extended radius arms just not the time, I have a stick of 2" 1/4" wall square tubing, a spare pair of radius arms already chopped up, a pile of scrap plate for the mounts, a general idea of where and how I want to make the mounts, but I loose the next two weekends for working on stuff by being in Australia (I know, rough... but it's for work), sometime I need to fit pulling my engine out for a reseal too... and obviously some wheeling time :)

xBLAKEx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yeah sounds like you've got it all planned out. I'm probably going to build some extended radius arms also, once i get my D35 though. I'm going to be building some "J clips" to keep my coils in. I seem to be limited with time right now as well. But you are lucky to go there for work hah. I just go to school and work. With whatever time i have left I try to work on the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals