• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Steering Wheel Replacement

achulz

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hey all,

I've had my 2006 XLT (2.3, regular cab, RWD) for a couple years now, and one thing that is super annoying is the previous owner absolutely death gripped the steering wheel and tore the foam up enough that the metal wheel is exposed. The foam itself is also super old and kind of flaking off into little crumbs.

I'd really like to replace the steering wheel, but my truck is super basic model (not sure what even makes it an XLT) without cruise control, power windows, etc. The steering wheel is just a basic foam wrapped wheel, no buttons or anything except for the horn/airbag. I found the part number 6L5Z-3600-AB, but all of my local dealers say it's discontinued and I don't want to pay list price for it online with the chance they will just cancel my order saying the same thing.

I also surfed eBay for a while trying to find the same wheel in good condition, but all I can find is the leather wrapped wheel with the cruise control buttons.

From the photos, it looks to be mostly the same wheel, but there are very few photos of my foam wheel to actual tell if it would work. I'm curious if the leather wheel would fit the same, particularly the air bag, as it's seemingly the only option for a replacement at this point. I don't even mind if the cruise control buttons work or not, as I can just 3D print some blanks to fill up the empty space (or maybe even add cruise control in the future, if my truck is pre-wired for it).

Anyone been in this situation before and know the answer on fitment between the trims?

Edit: Not a 2011, but a 2006. Been looking at model year ranges too much.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Not sure when they started doing it, but when they went to throttle by wire, all you have to do is get the proper steering wheel with the cruise feature on it and swap it on, and then take it to the Ford dealer and they can activate the cruise feature. It's all just software besides the buttons, since there is already a little servo motor running the throttle. Not sure when the rangers went to this.

I did a search on www.car-part and did not get any hits in Texas. But did a nationwide search and some came up.

Steering Wheel
Ford Ranger
TAN INT,Med Pebb,TILT,CRUISE
A​
A15893
$Call​
Happy Hooker Auto Salvage USA-PA(Prospect) Request_Quote 724-368-3096 / 724-636-5865 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
171​
Steering Wheel
Ford Ranger
LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL
A​
23F0560
$125​
Patterson Auto Wrecking - PRP Freight, ARA, CDC USA-PA(Cochranton) Request_Quote 800-822-2028 / 814-425-7415 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
210​
Steering Wheel
Ford Ranger
GRAY INT,5SWNC,TILT,CRUISE,DELAY
A​
23G0640
$Call​
Patterson Auto Wrecking - PRP Freight, ARA, CDC USA-PA(Cochranton) Request_Quote 800-822-2028 / 814-425-7415 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
210​
Steering Wheel
Ford Ranger
2004 - 2006 Ford Ranger Steering Wheel Black Leather OEM 6L5Z3600AA
A​
$50​
Speedy's Used Parts- CAR, Green Recycled Parts USA-NC(Asheville) Request_Quote 800-222-5414 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
20200911_141803.jpg

I've had a couple trucks with worn out steering wheels. I usually black tape the wheel all the way around... I've also used craft foam in places that needed a bit of build up. Tape it down good. Buy a thick stretch over cover... Para cord wrap it.

Full disclosure... I'm old and use to wrap my wheel very similarly with kits they use to sell. I like the look and the feel.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'll add that the wheel in my 06 was really nice... that's what's in the picture... I still wrapped it.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Wish you could still buy replacement aftermarket steering wheels, damn the airbags anyhow.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I've had my 2006 XLT (2.3, regular cab, RWD) for a couple years now, and one thing that is super annoying is the previous owner absolutely death gripped the steering wheel and tore the foam up enough that the metal wheel is exposed. The foam itself is also super old and kind of flaking off into little crumbs.

I've had a couple trucks with worn out steering wheels. I usually black tape the wheel all the way around... I've also used craft foam in places that needed a bit of build up. Tape it down good. Buy a thick stretch over cover... Para cord wrap it.

Full disclosure... I'm old and use to wrap my wheel very similarly with kits they use to sell. I like the look and the feel.

I did a parts store leather wrap on one of my older trucks to fix the original steering wheel having some loose and missing chunks. Fixed it to my satisfaction; looks good and feels great. But then again, I'm old too.

20210919 steer wheel cover a DS.jpg

About 25 bucks for a good leather one, a little time and a lot of patience, but it may be an option for you to consider.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Based on looking at my factory wiring manual, I believe (but am not certain) that the clockspring is the same with or without cruise control. (It is possible that the connector between the wheel and the clockspring is different based on whether there is cruise or not.) In either case it is possible to put the high-trim wheel on the base truck - it just may require a little wiring swapping on the wheel itself, if the connectors are different.

The Ranger in this era is not drive by wire, so the base truck is missing the wiring and cruise control servo, so adding factory cruise is a fair amount of work.

The simple alternative would be to leather wrap the existing wheel, as suggested above. I have bought AULLY PARK leather covers from Amazon with good results on several vehicles - just make sure you spec the right size one. If you literally have chunks missing from the plastic foam, you need to fill those before putting on the cover- you can do that with something like flexible body filler or even expanding hard foam that you shave down to size. Then put on the leather wheel cover and lace it up. No screwing with airbags or any of that stuff.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'll add that the wheel in my 06 was really nice... that's what's in the picture... I still wrapped it.
So, peel off the wrap, sell him your nice wheel and take his in trade, then wrap it. You'll end up a few bucks ahead, your truck will look the same,and he'll have a nide steering wheel.

SCOTTY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Size
Cologne 2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Crown Vic Steering Wheel
I've been wanting to do this for a while now but still can't find a wheel (Blue but black will do).
The ones I did find ('8x - '89) were in to bad of shape &/or the horn button was missing. I found the diameter is ok
& I think the dish depth will work as well. Comparing the backsides looks like it will work too.
It doesn't need to have the leather but it does need the cruise buttons.
Anyone know where I can Get 1 ?
87-89 Crown Vic Interior - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
If it would fit or be easy to fit Id put a ‘70’s mustang 2 wheel on.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So, peel off the wrap, sell him your nice wheel and take his in trade, then wrap it. You'll end up a few bucks ahead, your truck will look the same,and he'll have a nide steering wheel.
Well... wrapping it has the benefit of keeping my nice steering wheel nice. I also have the mindset... that if it isn't broke... don't fool with it. So I'll be keeping my wheel.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Well... wrapping it has the benefit of keeping my nice steering wheel nice.
Good point.

On the G-Unit, I think that pink fur would nicely compliment the desert rhino-lined exterior.

pink fur cover.jpeg

Added bonus, would be the touch and feel of a "most sensuous driving experience".

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape

Aintskeered440

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Im actually in the middle of a project that involves a steering wheel swap, on the same 2004-2006 wheel that you have (6L5Z-3600-AB). So maybe I can give you some info that will be helpful to you? So… the steering wheel you are after, I was looking for the same one and they are ALL gone! They cannot be bought brand new anywhere… and trust me I looked😀👍. If you want that exact same steering wheel, your only option is to buy one used. Which the only problem with that is they are typically in pretty rough shape because the non-cruise never came with the leather wrap. So all the ones you will find are typically pretty worn, since the rubber is unprotected.

But all is not lost, you have several options if you are wanting a brand new steering wheel. You can actually buy a 2004-2006 cruise steering wheel that is brand new on eBay, there are several of them up for sale. I don’t think you’ll have to change the clock spring? They should be interchangeable… on the 98-2003 I know for a fact they are. It doesn’t matter if you use a cruise wheel or not. So I’m assuming the same goes for 2004-2006. But worst case scenario, you grab a cruise clockspring from the salvage yard.

Then you actually have a 3rd option- which is what I did. I wanted a non-cruise steering wheel, because I didn’t want the non working buttons. But you CAN buy a 2007-2010 non-cruise steering wheel brand new still, and they cost about 150$. The part # for this steering wheel is 8L5Z-3600-AB. They are extremely close to what the 2004-2006 looks like. So much so that online they will say they are interchangeable. No matter what anyone says, even though they look the same online THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. The difference being the bottom of the steering wheel has an open slot that is covered by the 2007-2010 airbag. You can actually put the 2004-2006 airbag on and it looks correct- except for that missing slot at the bottom.

So right now, I’m still trying to decide if I’m going to just use the 2007-2010 airbag and put it on my brand new 2007-2010 steering wheel? Or if I’m going to just cut that little piece off the 2007-2010 airbag and epoxy it to the 2004-2006 airbag? Because if I did that Epoxy deal, I would have a BRAND NEW steering wheel along with the look of the 2004-2006 steering wheel setup… which I prefer over the look of the 2007-2010.

But anyways, I hope this helps😀👍

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals