• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stiffening rear springs to get better flex out of the front end?

mazdamama

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have chevy 63s in the rear, and they are very soft, but my front end still does not flex as much as i like, so i was wondering what affect stiffening the rear springs would have on overall flex? would stiffening the rear just be worse for overall flex, or might it force the front springs to flex more? it seems like if my front end would flex more, that it would increase my stability, and possibly keep my center of gravity lower. i say this because the front end has the engine and trans and i would think that if it is not flexing much, then it is keeping my center of gravity higher. the rear just seems too soft, and i would think that it would still flex to its full potential if i stiffened it, but maybe you guys have experimented with this more than i have. thanks, josh

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
What do you have for front springs?

Rear bump stops set up properly?

mazdamama

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i do not have rear bumpstops, and i use jeffs bronco graveyard (deaver) 6 inch ? early bronco coils, IIRC its been a little while since i purchased them.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Stiffening the rear might force the front to flex a slight bit further in very mild flex situations, but when crossed up further (to the point of lifting a tire), you'd most certainly have less flex overall.

Seems like it would be just as easy (if not easier) to switch to softer front coils instead of stiffer rear leafs (certainly would be cheaper anyway... Leaf springs are $$$$$$$ for some odd reason :icon_confused: ).

Edit: You SAS'ed? You running stock-length C-bushing radius arms? If so, extending those arms could help those bushings flex more too.

Last edited:

mazdamama

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Edit: You SAS'ed? You running stock-length C-bushing radius arms? If so, extending those arms could help those bushings flex more too.
yes. my radius arms are more than 36" long and have ballistic joints on the frame end, with c-buchings on the axle. and i have bronco graveyard superflex (deaver) coils rated at 190 lbs per inch linear. the only other flexier affordable option would be cherokee coils probably, but they would most likely be way too soft for all the street driving i do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals