• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck in 4 low

boaman007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1993 Ford Ranger XL: front driver tire rotates with hubs locked, back passenger tire rotates, transmission is in 4 low and shifting to 4 high or 2 wheel drive does not change that truck stays in 4 low.

Crane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Is it an auto transmission?
Do you have it in neutral when trying to shift out of 4 low?
Because my truck only shifts in and out of 4 low when its in neutral, not park or drive or anything

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Neutral, not park and your foot has to be on the brake.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
This needs more information.
is it an electric shift or manual shift?
if it is an electric shift, does the electric shift knob do anything when turned (click, light up on the dash)?

any amount of money it is an electric shift...... and this is a common problem.
there are so many posts on this "issue" it is hard to fathom......

boaman007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is a manual 5 speed with manual transfer case. When I was driving it it made a loud whinning noise and I was in 2 wheel drive and then it would not respond just like it was in neutral? Any ideas?

boaman007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is manual shifter and 5 speed manual transmission

8sechonda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
is it automatic locking hubs? if so they may not be unlocking... if not when u put it back in 2h do u back up? not sure if its an issue but i always do it.. othr than that im a lil puzzled on it ...

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like it's slipping. i would check the linkage.....
it's a little hard to get at, but you should be able to from under the truck. the BEST way is to have a friend, and rip out the boot and trim from the top, and expose the hole down to the transfer case/transmission.

if your linkage is properly adjusted and tight, then you may have something wrong inside the transfer case itself, Possibly the Shift Fork. you may want to look at a transfer case overhaul, or just putting in a new one.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Im going through the same problem, made a loud whining/grinding noise while in 2 wheel from time to time, got worse then nothing. Just put in a new clutch thought just the t case shift mechanism was srewed but no, now its stuck in 4LO. I even unhooked the shift linkage and shifted the t case with a wrench and still stuck in 4 lo. Anyone had this before or t case experts know what this is?

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And I think this may have been discussed before but I need a definite answer, can a electric shift t case be converted to manual shift t case by removing the electric motor, or is the shifting mechanism different from the two?

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To answer your question, the range shifter is worn out. Yes, you can use the internals from an electric to fix your manual box. I had the same issue and repaired mine just like that. For the record, this was the original post from when I did that. http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52284

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i was on the right path at least. internals are shot.

and to answer 94redranger, the shifters are in different places on the manual and electric. the manual is on the side and the electric is on the rear.

there are quite a few threads asking if you can convert the electric case to a manual shift case, but it would be more trouble that just replacing the case WITH a manual, and having parts in case something happens to the manual like F150hybred said.

Last edited:

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly, the electric shift transfer cases are more plentiful than the manuals. If someone needs a manual repaired, it's much easier to find an electric one. Short of the case and the shifter shaft, the internals are very much identical and can be swapped in. A rather easy job and once done, you KNOW the condition of the oil pump pick up hose... the major problem area of this design.

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So is it hard to take apart the T-case? Im gonna go to the wrecker tomorow and see if they have any manual t cases. What should I look for When taking apart the t case in my situation?

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I believe the hardest part is breaking loose the sealant. Other than that, the blow up drawing available in the tech library helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals