• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck trying to decide

Buffyrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all, I’ve been looking all night through the forum and decided that I would just ask you guys. I’m running a 2008 2WD 2.3L beasty and it’s bone stock. I’ve been looking at Mustang wheels to throw on the truck, I’ve found some ‘09 GT wheels for $350, I’ve read that those could just run with some spacers. I’ve also found sweet deal on some Oem 2021 GT wheels for $425, but the thing is that they’re 20x9s with a 42.5mm offset (according to the lady sellin em), not sure about the backspacing so I’m worried if I go and buy them they wouldn’t fit size wise, the lug pattern is 5x114.3 so that’s cool, and I’m also not too keen on any terms (backspacing, offset, etc) or how these terms really work or what they mean. I’m new to trucks and modifying so please bear with me :). I was just wondering if I’d be SOL because the 2021 GTs are too big, it’s a pretty good deal for both so I’m not in a rush to go out and grab anything.

Attachments

RangerNumber3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My vote is for the 2009 wheels. 😎

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Either of those wheels will need an adapter of about 1.25-1.50" thickness to work.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
IDK, the 2009 looks like an old Cragar wheel from the 70s....

7c5e3ff86577516f96afa93084c4b109d05bfde4_Cragar_61C_5_Spoke_45rtr_15in-300x300.png

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
No question about it, new wheels are the most important upgrade that an owner can make, especially when selling a car or truck. The cool thing about trucks is that they are versatile and can be adapted to a wide variety of uses. A Ranger can be a low and sporty "truxarosa," an off road big wheel rock crawler, a mudder, a beach buddy, a street rod, or just a plain old solid work buddy.

It would be hard for me to advise without knowing what you intend to do with your Ranger. I would suggest that you choose a set a wheels that best expresses that.

Buffyrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
No question about it, new wheels are the most important upgrade that an owner can make, especially when selling a car or truck. The cool thing about trucks is that they are versatile and can be adapted to a wide variety of uses. A Ranger can be a low and sporty "truxarosa," an off road big wheel rock crawler, a mudder, a beach buddy, a street rod, or just a plain old solid work buddy.

It would be hard for me to advise without knowing what you intend to do with your Ranger. I would suggest that you choose a set a wheels that best expresses that.
I’m definitely going for the truxarosa stance, low to the flo’ with some nice big wheels, I love all types of trucks but the low riders just do it for me lol.

Buffyrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
how much do 20" tires cost??
I pulled a number from ******** and landed on 245/45-20. they ain't cheap.

Tire Size 245/45R20 | Tire Rack
Yeah just checked some out online in a few different sizes, if I don’t cheap out on them completely I’m looking at a low end of about 700, high end about 1200-1300 for a set of 4, which would make total cost of wheels + tires range from $1200-$1700 USD… the ‘09 wheels are looking good right now lol, could grab a set of tires for those for maybe $300-$500

Buffyrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
Either of those wheels will need an adapter of about 1.25-1.50" thickness to work.
You think I’d need to do any lifting or modifying to the body if I were to run the 20x9s? I’d go with some thinner tires to help with the bigness lol, I kinda guessed I would need some spacers from reading all night so I appreciate the help! I appreciate all the information everyone’s leaving this place is the bullocks man thanks again ☝

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
You cannot store anything larger that a 31" wheel and tire combo in the space under the truck bed. If You choose to go larger, you will have to consider some other way of mounting the spare. A friend of mine has 17" wheels and 33" tires. He needed to lift his truck and still needed to do some cutting and grinding inside the front wheel wells.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
My truck has a modest 1" lift. My buddy's truck is the one on the right, lifted to fit 17" wheels with
20221102_160400.jpg

33" tires. His wheels are off set an inch or two. So he added fender flares.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
And if you should lift your Ranger in any way, I would recommend that you also install a set of uprated sway bars.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

jonyrad41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3''
My truck has a modest 1" lift. My buddy's truck is the one on the right, lifted to fit 17" wheels with View attachment 104010

33" tires. His wheels are off set an inch or two. So he added fender flares.
Can you ask your friend for info on those fender flares,cant find them. THX

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals