• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sudden engine die, no spark, no fuel.

Sheolraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all. I have a 1987 Ranger ST-X, 2.9. It suddenly died on me but the starter still cranks strongly. It sits with a local mechanic who cant figure it out. He says no spark and no fuel. Inertial fuel cut-off has been eliminated as the reason. Any type of order of progression to track this down recommended? It has been bitter cold here in mid-NY lately, maybe this is catalyzing a prob? Thanks for any & all replies.

crazjames

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my be it's you computer relay.mine went out and the same thing happend.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all. I have a 1987 Ranger ST-X, 2.9. It suddenly died on me but the starter still cranks strongly. It sits with a local mechanic who cant figure it out. He says no spark and no fuel. Inertial fuel cut-off has been eliminated as the reason. Any type of order of progression to track this down recommended? It has been bitter cold here in mid-NY lately, maybe this is catalyzing a prob? Thanks for any & all replies.
Yes +1 to checking the relays
....it might be a fuseble link too.

would check the TFI (aka ignition module)

can't stress enough to check the grounds and connections.

dgndngrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes +1 to checking the relays
....it might be a fuseble link too.

would check the TFI (aka ignition module)

can't stress enough to check the grounds and connections.
+1, check the TFI and the 2 square relays on the passenger side fender. closest one to the passenger is for the computer and the other is the fuel pump. both should click before you turn it over.

Sheolraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Great! Thanks for the advice. I will run these down tomorrow morning and report back. :icon_cheers:

Sheolraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So ... mechanic attempting to do the repair tells me it was a bad tach wire to the ignition coil. I've come to find out this particular fellow is rather untrustworthy when it comes to billing for work done. I am wondering why a tach wire would affect the ignition system this way. Any input? Thanks for all replies.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why would you even let him touch your truck then?

Is it fixed? Make him SHOW YOU what he did.

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=64

Key word "PIP", so his "Tach wire" makes sense to me. :icon_confused:

Last edited:

Sheolraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
er ... well ok I shouldnta let him touch it. Found out his rep after it was in his shop though. He "fixed" it. Thursday the 29th I picked it up. Sunday on my way to Superbowl party it died again. :annoyed: I got under the lid and found the wire plug into the coil was missing the clips to hold it in. This is the flat plug that directs 3 wires (1 being the tach wire.) into the coil body. Any slight movement of the plug killed the engine when I tested it. The condenser on the side was floating around by it's wire. The bastard may have found the problem but he didn't fix it for $235 after 4 days. I electrical taped it tight and went to party :beer::icon_cheers: Monday morning I confronted the guy and retrieved all the money I paid for nothing. He had nothing to say in his defense. Go figure. Now I'll just replace the plug (with pigtail?) and be fine. Thanks for the replies. Good link Earl. Bookmarked.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals