• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swapping larger gas tank into Short Bed?

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, it looks like my beater truck is beaten, and I will probably be parting it out. or posting it here for a basis for someone else to throw money at.

It is a former fleet truck, and it has a 21 gallon fuel tank. That was a shock the first time I filled it up, after seeing in the owner's manual that it was either 17 or 15 gallons.

This tank and the one on my short bed ranger both start at the cab/bed gap and go to just before the rear axle. Except that the long bed has an extra foot or so to play with at the axle end of the equation.

I would be able to remove all the straps and attach them to the frame on the short-bed at various points if need-be. :icon_welder:

I'm wondering if it poses any sort of safety risk to have a foot of gas tank under the driver's seat.

I don't do any off-roading in this truck, and my main motivation for doing this would be the boost in range from 400-600 miles.

Thoughts?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Wouldn't worry about it. Most passenger cars have the gas tank right below the back seat.

Heck trucks in the 60s had the gas tank in the cab behind the seat.

One thing that you might want to check is how the filler neck lines up. If it is in a different place than the original, you will need to make a custom filler.

As long as you can safely hang it you should be fine unless your state has strict inspections.

AJ

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't worry about it. Most passenger cars have the gas tank right below the back seat.

Heck trucks in the 60s had the gas tank in the cab behind the seat.

One thing that you might want to check is how the filler neck lines up. If it is in a different place than the original, you will need to make a custom filler.

As long as you can safely hang it you should be fine unless your state has strict inspections.

AJ
I hadn't considered the filler neck... That will take some custom fabrication

As for the state inspection, I'm down in Indy, so you know how strict my state's inspections are :icon_rofl:

This will definitely be fuel for a tech article on conversions... pun intended.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Awesome! I am in Fishers, just a few miles NE of Indy. what part of Indy are you in?

AJ

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
SE side... I-74 and I-465 ish...

Appears I will need an extended cab pump assembly if I'm going to stick the front end under the cab. has a dog-leg so you can slip it in under the backseat with the bed off.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Well as of a week or so ago on Friday, the Indy Pull a Part had several gen 3 Rangers, and at least 3 or 4 extended cabs. might be a cheap way to get it going or do feasibility studies as to if it would even work.

I am curious as to how it will all work out, take pictures and document document document :)

AJ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals