• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Synthetic oil?

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So i have an 88 bronco 2 and was thinking about changing to synthetic oil...i do have a ticking lifter on start up but usually goes away after its warmed up.

but the question i have is: will going synthetic change anything, should i do it, and what oil would you recommend?

thanks

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Jeff, I ran Mobil 1 in my 2.9 for it's last 25000+ miles of life in my B2, the last 18000 of that I never changed it, added a quart every 1500 miles or so but that's it. Still had awesome oil pressure when I pulled it and ran fine. As long as your doesn't use or leak too much oil I'd switch, you could easily run 6000 miles or better between changes, offsetting the higher price. You can pick up a 5 quart Jug of Mobil 1 at wally world for like $23. I also run M1 in my Dakota and 4.0. Last change interval on the Dakota was 10,000 miles, I'll drop down to 6000 now with the turbo. I add a quart to it every 2000 miles or so. The 4.0 has the same oil change as when I did the swap, 6500 miles and it hasn't used or leaked a drop, probably should change it soon.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think synthetic would help a lifter noise. If you still want to use synthetic, you certainly could. Don't let anyone tell you "you can't use synthetic because __________." There are a lot of myths and misconceptions regarding synthetic oils. Don't be afraid of synthetics.

A thicker oil would probably quiet the noise down, but it doesn't actually solve the problem. No oil is going to replace lost metal that has been worn away.

And, it's only a matter of time before someone suggets Lucas. All that really is is an oil thickener with no additives, which basically dilutes your oil (that DOES have additives). If you want to thicken your oil, use a thicker oil. Don't add that crap to it.

WoodyB2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thx for the help, i am going to go with the mobile 1 like hahn suggested. thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals