• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Synthetic Trans Fluid?

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 Ram as a tow rig, (tows the Ranger real nice). It has 126,000 miles on it. The trans was rebuilt twice already, the last rebuild was about 10,000 miles ago. It was rebuilt with a shift kit and supposedly heavy duty parts.

My question is would synthetic trans fluid be a good idea? I do a lot of towing with the truck and would like this trans to last as long as possible.

And what trans fluid would you recommend? Any experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

michowski

Reaction score
My one buddy is a dealer mechanic for about 15 years now and he does a lot of towing with his tahoe. He turned me onto royal purple. Its fully synthetic and doesnt break down under extreme heat and keeps its viscosity to help lube your parts in all conditions. Ive been using it since early summer/spring and I have no complaints at all. Smoother shifts (manual trans), quieter.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
They key to an automatic transmission is keeping the heat down, you may want to look into an aftermarket tranny cooler to work along side the factory one. Synthetic fluid wouldn't hurt.

silveranger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When we bought the truck we had the dealer install an external cooler. I keep tossing around the idea of adding a trans temp guage to just keep an eye on it. The trans fluid has about 10,000 miles on it now and its still nice and pink, but it smells a little weird, not burnt just weird.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
don't use it unless the guy that rebuilt it says you can. some factory clutches and bands don't mix well with synthetic fluid. that being said ...... te bestting to do is service the transmission and add an aftermarket cooler (to be used with the factory cooler already installed and do not by-pass the cooler that is part of the radiator) ...... preferably one with a fan and a thermostatic switch for the fan and set it to keep the fluid as close to 165* as possible. there is no such thing as over cooling an automatic transmission.

wjldancer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
Tranny cooler

I agree with the previous post, your best best is to use approved transmission fluid, and get another aftermarket cooler, and a guage to monitor temperture, and be especially carefull when pushing it hard like climing steep hills or mountains.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I would use ONLY ATF+4 type fluid in a Dodge transmission. Using any other type (Dexron, Mercon, etc) will destroy it. And ALL ATF+4 fluids are full synthetic.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would use ONLY ATF+4 type fluid in a Dodge transmission. Using any other type (Dexron, Mercon, etc) will destroy it. And ALL ATF+4 fluids are full synthetic.
yeah dodge trannies bareley hold together with the fancy +4 stuff... i wouldnt play around with other fluids...

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
The key to a dodge trans holding up is not letting them sit in park for very long idling or if you just drove it hard don't just put it in park and let it idle either the trans doesn't circulate in park. also there is a check valve in going to the stock cooler remove that so it doesn't fail. I have never ran synthetic tans fluid in my 96 1500 el cheap o just changed it often

I have 86000 on the first tranny and another 40000 with 35s 7" lift and stock gears I drove it on the street everyday and wheeled it almost every weekend the same trans is now turning 50" tractor tires it has had water in it 4 times in 7 yrs. it maybe luck or its that its never burnt itself and I change the fluid

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals