• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tach just quit

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
i have a 92 explorer with a 4.0. i was driving down the road and the tach just quit. its sitting at 0 and it wont move. what do you think would cause this?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did any other things quit as well? Like the voltmeter and dinger?

If so, a fuse blew. I think it's #17. Find the short to ground first.

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
well i went out to mess with it and the tach was working. and the volt meter and dinger were still working.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
My factory tach does that too, I think its got something to do with the cluster.

I got an aftermarket tach and wired it into the tach input wire from the PCM and it reads fine. Narrows it down to either a short in the wire somewhere between the firewall and the connector, or the tach/cluster itself.

Hope that helps a bit.

88BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
i dont wont an aftermarket tach. i just wont mine to work correctly. ill do some checking tomorrow, just for kicks what about the cps.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I didnt say to just replace your factory tach with an aftermarket one, just said that in hopes that'd youd use that to help you narrow your search a bit. My factory tach does the same thing, and its either a short somewhere between the firewall/connector or the cluster is going bad (which I could believe.... dash lights keep going out and upon fist-impact they turn back on)

cps- camshaft position sensor? Or Crankshaft Position Sensor? Being a '92 s'ploder... itd have the Crank sensor. You'd think if the crankshaft sensor was going bad, youd have a CEL on, and possible no-start/rough running situation. As the crankshaft sensor tells the PCM where the rotating assembly is in its rotation in relation to ignition timing. Or something like that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals