• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For Sale Taurus 2-speed fan and accessories

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I have a Taurus 2 speed fan and accessories for sale/trade. Didn't work out due to my truck having a 2.25" radiator (not the thinner 1" radiator that some other rangers had instead).

The fan was a thrift store find years ago. Bench tested to be good, is an OEM Motorcraft fan. The original electrical connector was cut off by the previous owner (stripped wire leads, crimp/solder your own terminals). I trimmed the shroud as part of my modifications.

I also have the original 1995 4.0 fan shroud modified to accept the Taurus fan. From what I know (and based on my experience), it (with the taurus fan attached) should fit on any 1995-1997 Ranger with a 4.0 or 3.0 and a 1" radiator. It might fit other applications as well; per Rockauto part pictures the radiators used on the 1995+ I4's and all non-electric applications 1998+ look to use the same fan shroud mounting system. All that's needed to rejoin the two is four 1/4" nuts/bolts or rivets. Note: Some spacers may need added between the shrouds to give adequate clearance. No guarantees that additional trimming will not be needed to fit since I wasn't able to fully fit mine with the taurus fan attached. It should be very close though; I used the fan shroud as a mock-up for the thinner fan/shroud combo that did actually fit my application. Had to trim the lower driver's side mounting ear to clear the transmission cooler lines while allowing the fan motor to clear the water pump snout/pulley

Finally, I have (brand new) a BMW 195/210F temp switch & connector, and a 40mm in-hose sensor mount/adapter, originally intended (along with some 30/40A relays that I can toss in) to control the fan. The adapter will need tapped to M14x1.5 (which I can do on request). The switch is made by URO; the connector is genuine BMW. I may return these to Amazon if there isn't any interest though... I'll edit/reply if I go that route.

Price: Make an offer on the fan (and ranger shroud, if interested). I don't have much invested in either of them, and I'm more interested in making sure they go to a good home. The accessories: $40 (spent about $55 on them), but that's negotiable. Not looking to make a buck here, just to put some surplus hardware to better use. I can ship if needed, but would prefer in-person pickup/delivery on the fan/shroud.

Note: the temp switch connector is still on order... but I should have it by Monday (12/14) per Amazon. Kinda funny that that the project fell flat before all the parts came in... oops :dntknw:

Attachments

Last edited:

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If this fits my ranger. I’d definitely be interested. What would you like for everything shipped to 16438

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
If this fits my ranger. I’d definitely be interested. What would you like for everything shipped to 16438
I'll PM you on pricing.

Per my fan swap thread, there's a chance that my 2-core shroud may not fit a 1-core radiator after all . Pretty sure my former 1995 3.0 had a 1 core (although no clue if it was stock).

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks. I’ll try to check tomorrow and let you know.

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have the 2.5” radiator. I know people have made something work. I wonder why the one you have doesn’t fit. I’m tempted to try a see if I could make it work. How deep is the fan from the front of the blades to the back of the motor.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I have the 2.5” radiator. I know people have made something work. I wonder why the one you have doesn’t fit. I’m tempted to try a see if I could make it work. How deep is the fan from the front of the blades to the back of the motor.
About 110mm, or 4.25" I only had 4" of room when fully slimmed down; even if the end of the motor shaft (which is the long point) was touching the radiator, the back of the motor hit the water pump pulley (let alone the threaded impeller snout). I don't know about other engines... at least on a 1995 4.0 with a 2.25" radiator, it doesn't work. Heck the Dodge Journey fan I ultimately used barely fits as it is.

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’ll have to look a little closer but I’m pretty sure I have almost 4.5”. Let me check and I’ll let you know. Thanks for the info.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I’ll have to look a little closer but I’m pretty sure I have almost 4.5”. Let me check and I’ll let you know. Thanks for the info.
I'll go ahead and re-measure it when I'm back from tonight's test drive of the new system. The 110mm was me eyeballing it with my scales from work (which is why the measurement is metric).

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I'm getting 4.35"... but that was based off several differential caliper measurements, by no means precise. I'd say you'll want an absolute minimum of 4 5/8" gap (more is better, obviously).

Naddanme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
L
I'm getting 4.35"... but that was based off several differential caliper measurements, by no means precise. I'd say you'll want an absolute minimum of 4 5/8" gap (more is better, obviously).
Looks like in just under 4.5” probably should try something else.

DJE75

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Transmission
Manual
Hey I have a 98 explorer 4.0. I'm running a single speed BMW fan on now. I'm gonna get some measurements to see exactly how much clearance I have but if it would fit I'd be interested for sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals