• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Teaching stick

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know I'm not the best teacher, but a word to the wise. Don't try to teach your little brother (who has never driven stick) on a worn out clutch, with 33's, 3.45's, and locker.:buttkick:

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nothing yet, but after sitting at a stop sign for about 10 minutes, and killing it about 30 times (me - "slower on the clutch, thats all you need to do") and making no headway, we turned back home. Its like as soon as he feels it start to move forward he just dumps the clutch.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, this should help him a little bit

OH, Yeah!!! Look at all that room to flex those 24's!! (215/15/14 ):icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

I forgot how much fun it is to drive on the street with those lil tires. I really need to find that 4.10 axle I've been wanting.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, while having another go at it something interesting happened. We were at a stop sign and he was getting reading to go. You might remember how it is..... clutch in *check*, first gear *check*.....BOOM!! I though he just dumped the clutch, then I hear a bunch of kids going "I saw it!! I saw it!!" I look behind us and minivan is right on our ass. I still have to direct him.."Nuetral, foot still on brake, set ebrake, turn off" She comes running up to the window "Well I though you were going to go like 30 seconds ago, blah blah blah." She looks at me and shuts up seeing that its not two high school kids. We get out, she starts actually admitting it was her fault. She talks about how I don't have any damage, but its up to my brother if we report it. He promptly tells her that its my truck. She nervously shifts her feet. Her minivan was all kinds of messed up, grill, bumper, hood, headlight. The only thing I could see on my truck was some her leftover bumper. She said "alcohol will take that off, we can go to my house and I will do it" After making her sweat it for about 2 min. I reply that we don't need to file it and we'll all just go about our buisiness. She still didn't look to happy. I think she still thinks it was our fault, but knew she'd get quite an argument out of me. This was all in my little subdivision, not out in the city or anything. I probably would have asked for $50 if it weren't in my neighborhood, but being neighborly I didn't.

She's really lucky I had taken off my 33's or she might have had a lot more damage.

Does anyone else have any good stories about teaching or learning to drive standard?

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i once taught a ex g/f to drive a jeep CJ-7 by putting it in 4-low and having her drive it around the small town she lived in.
________
Ferrari F1 640

Last edited:

dougs3.0L98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah if you own something with 4lo do that. i've taught 2 girl friends that way.

once you can get him to pull out in 1st in 4low without too much madness, have him try it in 2nd. and then maybe 3rd then after that maybe try it in 2wd.

also a nice smooth field or wet slick road worked better for me.

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my ex on my mustang in a campground. it dont like 5th gear at 15 mph lol

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I taught my ex girlfriend. Not sure how i managed that.

Now that my kids are driving i get to teach them. If i were you guys i would buy stock in bayer asprin company.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I taught my friend Brianna to drive mine one time in a gravel pit, took a couple times but she got it going but it was kinda scary, after a couple minutes of that I said enough of that. I let my mom drive my rig once too, surprisingly after not driving a stick for like 10 years she drove it no problem.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't drive stick all that well, I'm just starting to learn in an old beater truck out in a field.
But hey... your only 16 once right? haha

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i learned in an old beater in a field in 4low....didnt help i had to go up a hill the first time i ever tried...oh well....good memories with my Bro

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This ones only 2wd with a huge water tank on the back :D

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've been trying to teach my fiance. she started doing really well the other day so i stop paying attention then at the next start of she stalled it 30 times and got really pissed off, and made me drive home when i jumped in the drivers seat i realized that she was in third gear. which intern was some how my fault. i really like the idea of lo range im going to try that next time. you guys got any other good tips

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My brother never drove stick in his life, but well.. he bought a nissan that was standard..
It took him about 2 minutes to get the hang of it, all by himself.

Mostly id say that was because hes used to shifting his motorcycle, but theres a lot of differences.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals