• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

temp lite problem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/89
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
2.8lt v6 2.5lt four bangr
Transmission
Automatic
I pulled the ranger out of the barn today to drive it while i fix my other truck its not street legal. I was driving the ranger an noticed the tempature lite on the dash kept flickerin i tapd the gas it turnd off then went to slow down an it came back on, I have checked the fan an the water in the raditior everything is fine,if thats the problem would it hurt anything to drive about 5 miles or so. Could it be a short in the wires somewhere? the truck runs cool an thats one way i knowits not overheating but i have no clue why the light keeps doin this.sorry if dont make any sence I am in a hurry to fix if can be fixed. help will be appreciated.

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
so you have no gauge that gives you the temp just the warning light?

could be a short but im not sure.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/89
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
justd a warning light it all it has, it might be a short..

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I recall a warning light instead of a gauge. I think they suck due to NOT knowing the water temperature is rising. By the time the warning light comes on, people are saying "Thar she blows"-

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
Transmission
Manual
The wire for the temp sender probably fell/got knocked off and is grounding itself intermittently somewhere on or around the engine. When it grounds, this will cause the light to come on. My 84 also had idiot lights for everything until I put aftermarket gauges in. Also, my 86 LTD had only ONE idiot light that just said "Engine" for everything (temp,oil pressure, codes etc) talk about being in the dark! I didn't know the water pump had gone bad while driving one day, and the light waited till there was basically no water in it to come on! I'm surprised it didn't crack the heads or at least blow the head gaskets.

Josh

RatDog8o8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, sounds like a loose-wire short to me.

That's what I love about warning lights. They exist mainly to add insult to injury...coming on after the problem has manifested itself.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At least Ford has improved a bit. Even with full gauges, which people don't always keep track of, they have a warning light that comes on to tell you to check gages. Think the guys have given some good advice on a loose wire or bad connection. Hope it's that easy.
Dave of the Nord

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing like a nice mystery... Just grab your John handcock and plug away!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/89
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Found the problem short in the wire from the thermostat to the check light, I am planing on selling it to fix my other truck up if anyones in need of 2.8 parts or body parts drop a meg on here, if it dont sell i am taking the money i spent on it off an selling sepretly an scraping the rest of the truck. Like i said in one of my other posts hate to see another ford going to waste but youve gotta do what you got to do

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals