• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TFI ---> EDIS conversion?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
this is purely theoretical in nature, I want to see what everyone thinks of this. I was looking at wiring diagrams today and discovered that the 4.0 edis module connects to the eec using the same number of wires connecting to the same pins as the tfi ignition system, I thought that was interesting. Also taking the raised deck height of the 4.0 into account I know that the dist/sensor shafts are of different lengths. would it be possible to use the same pickup as the tfi ignition possibly with some modification to the PIP to run the edis module? If it turns out that the setups are that similar I would possibly contemplate trying this out. Discuss...

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
this is purely theoretical in nature, I want to see what everyone thinks of this. I was looking at wiring diagrams today and discovered that the 4.0 edis module connects to the eec using the same number of wires connecting to the same pins as the tfi ignition system, I thought that was interesting. Also taking the raised deck height of the 4.0 into account I know that the dist/sensor shafts are of different lengths. would it be possible to use the same pickup as the tfi ignition possibly with some modification to the PIP to run the edis module? If it turns out that the setups are that similar I would possibly contemplate trying this out. Discuss...
You've got me thinking about this, but I don't know enough about DIS. One thing that comes to mind about using the DIS system on a bank fire system is if the DIS system uses a signature PIP signal? The signature PIP signal is slightly different so that the computer knows where #1 is. As far as their output, I am not sure, but I do have an article that goes somewhat in-depth about the TFI-IV system and what to expect from the CMP. How does the EDIS module control the coils?

Pete

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
it looks to me that the EDIS is controlled by a variable reluctance sensor (hall effect sensor?). I am working off of crappy wiring diagrams but I will tell you what I know. both systems connect to the computer through the same pins: 4,16,36, and 56. the edis controller runs three seperate coils inside the coilpack, so there are three banks I'm guessing. I don't know if the valve/cam timing is different to allow for the seemingly slight difference in spark timing. the EDIS module has 12 pins (i believe) but i havent looked at one recently. one is for shielding (ground?) 3 go to the coils, 2 go to the variable reluctance sensor, 4 go to the EEC, and one is a ground. one of them is unaccounted for right now if it even exists... If I have time tomorrow I will look for some better wiring diagrams at work

Last edited:

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd pick up this older one as it's what I'm planning to do --> go distributor-less on a 2.9 by running EDIS and a 4L OHV EEC-IV PCM from a '1992 Ranger. In many ways this is like doing a 4L swap, but I'm just using the electronics from the 4L on the 2.9. Given that the 4L is just a bored and stroked 2.9, I expect ignition maps to be very similar. Since the 4L is MAF vs. the SD on the 2.9, fueling should be fine given that air-volume will be measured rather than calculated.

I initially thought I'd swap in the whole 4L harness, but given how many pins are the same, it's really much easier to just use the existing harness and add/delete/cut/splice as needed. I'll even go the extra measure of creating conversion pigtails where I can so that I cut as little as possible. This way too, if something unexpected crops up, I can back-peddle and easily return to what I had.

Here's the pieces I've acquired:
Oil drive "dummy" plug (replaces distributor)
Original type crank V-pulley with 36-1 trigger wheel installed with missing tooth set at 0 degrees
EDIS Crank pick-up & pig-tail (2000-04 Focus w/ SPI engine)
Custom crank pick-up bracket that locates pick-up point 60 degrees BTDC
EDIS6 Module & harness pig-tail
MAF sensor & harness pig-tail from '92 Ranger
EEC-IV PCM X2T2 & harness from 4L '92 Ranger (Also have one from a '91 MT Explorer)
6-cyl Coil-pack w/ bracket and pig-tail
Ignition leads for above
18 pph EV6 fuel injectors (harness already modified for the EV6 injectors I'm currently running)

Anyone see any potential issues I'm not seeing?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Look up some of @PetroleumJunkie412 postings. Or search for it. He had a massive thread on this very thing.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd pick up this older one as it's what I'm planning to do --> go distributor-less on a 2.9 by running EDIS and a 4L OHV EEC-IV PCM from a '1992 Ranger. In many ways this is like doing a 4L swap, but I'm just using the electronics from the 4L on the 2.9. Given that the 4L is just a bored and stroked 2.9, I expect ignition maps to be very similar. Since the 4L is MAF vs. the SD on the 2.9, fueling should be fine given that air-volume will be measured rather than calculated.

I initially thought I'd swap in the whole 4L harness, but given how many pins are the same, it's really much easier to just use the existing harness and add/delete/cut/splice as needed. I'll even go the extra measure of creating conversion pigtails where I can so that I cut as little as possible. This way too, if something unexpected crops up, I can back-peddle and easily return to what I had.

Here's the pieces I've acquired:
Oil drive "dummy" plug (replaces distributor)
Original type crank V-pulley with 36-1 trigger wheel installed with missing tooth set at 0 degrees
EDIS Crank pick-up & pig-tail (2000-04 Focus w/ SPI engine)
Custom crank pick-up bracket that locates pick-up point 60 degrees BTDC
EDIS6 Module & harness pig-tail
MAF sensor & harness pig-tail from '92 Ranger
EEC-IV PCM X2T2 & harness from 4L '92 Ranger (Also have one from a '91 MT Explorer)
6-cyl Coil-pack w/ bracket and pig-tail
Ignition leads for above
18 pph EV6 fuel injectors (harness already modified for the EV6 injectors I'm currently running)

Anyone see any potential issues I'm not seeing?

running the early style with no cam sensor i would leave the distributor in place so your options are simpler later.

i suggest to keep the 2.9 injectors...and make the adapter to incorporate the ignition setup from the 4.0...

tuning this vintage is a pia..

and for relatives.....the timing curves are totally different. the 4.0 is a low rpm torque engine.....the 2.9 is a higher rpm engine.

the microsquirt is worth it to tune these.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
running the early style with no cam sensor i would leave the distributor in place so your options are simpler later.
Good point. I can always go back later and swap the "dummy plug" in once it's running to my satisfaction. The only catch might be if I want to use that space to mount the coil pack. Not a big deal either way, but anything that makes it easier to punt and return to original is a good idea.

i suggest to keep the 2.9 injectors...and make the adapter to incorporate the ignition setup from the 4.0...
Since my plan, at least initially, is to use a stock 4.0 PCM, I need to use ~18 PPH injectors.

the timing curves are totally different. the 4.0 is a low rpm torque engine.....the 2.9 is a higher rpm engine.
Are the actual factory timing maps available anywhere? Unlike the factory, my mount for the pick-up will have some adjustability, so I won't be hard-set at 10' BTDC. I realize that's a rather limited way of "tuning", but at least it's something.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Look up some of @PetroleumJunkie412 postings. Or search for it. He had a massive thread on this very thing.
I presume you're talking about this thread, yes?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I presume you're talking about this thread, yes?
Yep thats the one

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals