• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The 2.9 Mud Truck Build

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Build it, Break it, Re-build it stronger.
Howdy everyone, Well let me start off by saying this, First off allllll you 4.0 lovers, i have already decided NOT to follow every other person AND the same goes to you 5.0 lovers too! After the last year having my truck and seeing all the hell I have put my 2.9 through it it still cranks up and chugs like the first day i got it...well it almost brings a tear to my eye. So once again if your all suggestion going to be a 4.0 swap or 5.0 swap don't worry about replying because i will not even reply to it lol. Alright so now onto why I made this post, I have a 1990 extended cab 2WD (yes TWO WHEEL DRIVE! and I know a four wheel drive would be better but my truck so light and with the locker and mud country tires that are 12 inches wide on the back....well i can go through shit that full size truck have problems going through...and well i love being the under dog haha) it has the 2.9 engine, 5 speed tranny. Right now is sitting on 31x12.5x15 inch wheels, 4 inch suspension and 3 inch body lift. I already have some plans but I want some of your guys feed back (2.9 lovers ESPECIALLY!) Ok I already know I will be rebuilding the engine and tranny. I also will be getting a 6 inch suspension lift from Sky jacker will the rear springs and new better radius arms, basically the wholeeee package. I plan to run maybe 33's either 14 inch or stay 12.5 inch wide. Now I want suggestions on what would be best to do keep in mind this is a Daily driver but also i want to be a Damn fine mud truck, so suggestion like what would be a good cam? or pistons? anythings appreciated (NOT 4.0 or 5.0 swap! lol)

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
1. I know you don't want to hear it, but a 4.0 swap will bring you more power for a lot less than rebuilding the 2.9. Its not about everyone loving the engine, its just what makes sense.

2. If you are going to run a 14" wide tire on the rear, I would upgrade to an Explorer 8.8 and upgrade your gearing to 4.10 or 4.56s. And if you plan on running the same on the front, say goodbye to any fuel mileage or highway driving. Especially with a 2.9.

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The thing with the 4.0 swap is idk with my tools and knowledge I would be able to tackle it alone. Or if I am even sure what i will be doing to get the 4.0 working. i already got a 8.8 rear end and i plan to rebuild it with 5.12 or 4.88 gears and a locker, it off of a STX ranger so it has the 10 inch drum brakes.

ALSO I don't plan to run the same wide tires in the front, like right now I have Mud terrain on the back and only All terrain on the front, if i did go 14 inch wide in the back i would go maybe 10.50 or 12.5 wide in the front, with all terrains. Idk what it is but there something about seeing a truck with Wide ass tires int he back and small ones int he front that i like haha.

Last edited:

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The Ranger 8.8 is an ok upgrade, but it still uses the same 28 spline axle shafts as the 7.5. The Explorer 8.8 uses 31 spline shafts.

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I think 4.56s or lower gears are in order to run 33s with a 2.9. In the 2.9 tech library they list the 2.8 pistons as being compatible, but don't give any details as to if they're just drop in or require other crap like machine work to the pistons and/or the connecting rods. They only claim about 8 HP gain or so from using those pistons in the 2.9, but realize that every other upgrade will respond much better with the increased compression such as ignition upgrades, exhaust, and intake. There's another recent thread about putting 2.8 solid lifters into a 2.9. I guy on there was ordering one of each to compare them (hopefully we hear back from him). The solid lifters might need periodic adjustment (maybe like every time you do a tune-up which wouldn't be too much of a PITA), but the problem with the factory hydraulic lifters is that they simply do not last the life of the motor. It's just something to consider when rebuilding. As far as an upgraded cams go, I think that they're rather on the expensive side. A lot of times in these automotive forums guys buy that kind of crap and never get around to installing them so you might be able to scoop one up cheap. I don't think that doing porting and polishing of the head would be worth it (for the price of that kind of work vs. power gained) unless you can do it yourself. I don't even think that the heads need to be shaved or anything since they're cast iron (they crack before they will warp). There's also a trick you can do with one of the cam bearings during the rebuild to get better oil flow up to the heads. I'm sure that other guys around here have some decent tips for rebuilding.

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you can rebuild an engine, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to swap up to a different engine.

But to answer your original question, gearing is definitely going to be your friend. Cam is going to have to be custom, find a manufacturer to grind one and work with them on the specs of the cam to match what you'll use the truck for. You'll want to get the tires and gearing settled before you get the cam - they are going to ask.

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well i will not be rebuilding the engine a machine shop will, I don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge I can do anything with a truck but once it comes to the engine i kind of know little haha.... don't get me wrong I can do a oil change and do a head gasket and shit, but for swapping and rebuilding not so much....I use to work a for a auto shop and they said they can do engine swaps maybe I ll give my old boss a call and ask him if he can do it and a price....but please keeping going with any suggestions guys.

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Well i will not be rebuilding the engine a machine shop will, I don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge I can do anything with a truck but once it comes to the engine i kind of know little haha.... don't get me wrong I can do a oil change and do a head gasket and shit, but for swapping and rebuilding not so much....I use to work a for a auto shop and they said they can do engine swaps maybe I ll give my old boss a call and ask him if he can do it and a price....but please keeping going with any suggestions guys.
A lot of guys recommend swapping out the 2.9 for a 4.0 because it usually is the cheaper way to go depending on your situation. What transmission does your ranger have, manual or auto? If you have an auto it probably wont hold up to the 4.0's power for very long from what I've read (especially if you're going to be mudding). Even with a manual, I think that you almost have to swap in a 4.0 clutch, flywheel, and starter. You also have to change out the radiator to a 4.0 one. Other than that, it seems like it's mostly just a bunch of wiring. What gearing does your truck have in the rear now? If it has 4.11s you'll probably be able to run your 33s with a 4.0 saving you the hassle and expense of a gear changeover. You have to get prices and weigh out the pros and cons to see what's right for you. If you're after a 4.0, it might make the most sense to buy a wrecked 4.0 Exploder and get the ECU, wiring, and rear off of it too.

American1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 1990 1992
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i have a Mazda M50D-R1 tranny 5 speed, hmmm....It just I understand why everyone wants the 4.0, a upgraded pimped out 2.9 almost matches a 4.0, and a 4.0 is a "simple" swap i guess, the only part that worries me is the wiring part, idk what would go where and shit lol. But i am not Totally against a 4.0 swap it just idk what i would be tackling and if i did run into something I would not know who to call, a lot of my friends know about engines but there the same as me when it comes down to putting a different engine into a vehicle that didn't come with it, and having to swap out the wiring harness and computer. And if i did the 4.0 swap i would run true duals with a bad ass cam for that old school engine noise. if I could find a ranger with a 4.0 that would Perfectly match up wiring wise with just a few minor costume modification I probably would not mind but if i got to do some crazy fab work well...idk lol.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can get a cam for it on Summit.

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You can get a cam for it on Summit.
For the 4.0 or 2.9? I thought I looked for a 2.9 aftermarket cam there before and didn't come across anything.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
For the 4.0 or 2.9? I thought I looked for a 2.9 aftermarket cam there before and didn't come across anything.
Only catalog cam I've seen for the 2.9L is on camcraft - those are computer friend RV cams. Custom would be ideal tho, just need to ask. I had one ground by Colt Cams, it wasn't a big deal and not that expensive. Not even sure if camcraft is still offering their 2.9L performance parts anymore (roller tip rocker arms, power max heads, rocker arm spacers, etc), would have to ask them, their web site changed and you can't get the the Ranger/Bronco II part of the catalog anymore. The original pages are archived on their site still, though.

just truckn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6inch suspension 3inch body
Tire Size
33 12.50 15
hey pete camcraft still makes cams for the good old 2.9 i just got mine last week the price is 265.00 for the cam and lifters i have not yet finished building my motor yet hopefully have it built by the end of summer

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You'll have to let us know how it works out and post some videos!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals