• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

the 302 isdead

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well yesterday I ran the ranger really hard. I raced a cop, and won by the way, then I hauled 2 and a half tons of steel to the junkyard. On the way home the motor started knocking. I drove home and now the engine is dead. Im starting from scratch again. I picked up an 02 ranger yesterday for 350 and am driving that till I build another motor.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Was the race allowed by the cop or was it a run from the cop race?

I have to say, seems like it takes alot of hell giving to blow up a 302.

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the cop stopped me at the gas station because he wanted to see if I had a v8 in the ranger. Then he wanted to know how fast it went so we raced and when I won he pulled me over and said he had to so he didnt get in trouble. That 69 mustang motor pulled good. I put it through hell for a month, between the race and hauling way to much I think did her in. Also burnouts everyday probably didnt help any. Right now Im trying to figure out a paint scheme for the new motor. I ordered my rubuild kit today.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like a spun bearing killed her.

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep thats what got her. It kind of sucks since I dumped all that money into it. Oh well now I can make it a show truck. I got a dana 44 and 9 inch thats going under it soon as well.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
????

Yep thats what got her. It kind of sucks since I dumped all that money into it. Oh well now I can make it a show truck. I got a dana 44 and 9 inch thats going under it soon as well.
===================================
Why build a completely new motor? Sounds like all you need is a crank kit & however many rods you spun bearins in. Lot cheaper to do that than build another motor IMO.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
===================================
Why build a completely new motor? Sounds like all you need is a crank kit & however many rods you spun bearins in. Lot cheaper to do that than build another motor IMO.
I'll be that in addition to the rods and mains beign toast, the cam lobes are too. Not much point in going this way in short cutting a rebuild. Course, the way he's run, and is likely to run it in the future, maybe that is the best way. Seen lots of motors run into the ground, but never have done one that way myself.

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would rather know that everything is new than replace whats bad and know there are potential week points. I guess im hard on stuff. The only motor I havent hurt yet is my 88 7.3. When I get the motor done I will probably not be so hard on it. Going from that slow 4 cyl with 35s to a v8 that hauls butt I just couldnt hold back. After going sideways at 40 I shut the secondaries on the carb cause it was a little much with no ass weight and wet roads. Second gear taking off would always bark the tires, my new 35s were getting bald lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals